Is it worthwhile searching or will I just get aggravated again?

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
A few years ago I was CRHing, would spend my lunch hour walking bank to bank in Cambridge and on weekends I would hit my local banks. I found the occasional 40% half and a few dimes and 2 90% halves, then I hit the jackpot, I got 32 rolls from my dump bank, that I hadn't been at in a while, 29 of them were my rolls (had my mark on them) but two of them were entirely Walkers, 40 in all, 20 in each roll!
After that I just sat on my laurels feeling I couldn't beat that.
about a month ago I went by my local coin shop and talked to Lou about coin roll hunting, he told me that there are at least 30 people in the area CRHing and that is just those he knows about not the ones who go to other shops. He said most are always skunked as there are so many of them doing it.

I have been taking a diffent tack, I will stop at the shop and buy a couple dimes or quarters or a half most Saturdays that I can remember to stop by or have a couple extra bucks.

The thing is, while it is a sure thing and I am basically using the money from gas that I don't spend driving around to the different banks, it just isn't as much fun and there isn't the thrill of the chase.
Reading these posts, stuff is being found but how much compared to the number of searchers? Of course I have bought paydirt to find gold and there if you run a 50% return you are doing great. But it is the thought that you might get more than they expect to give you.
Even writing this I am starting to get the bug, want to go out and find some silver, but feel I will be let down again.

Has anyone ever done a study of time spent and cost associated (gas etc) to silver found? I did that for THing, and found in one year that I did well I averaged making 39 cents an hour and that was without factoring gas and batteries.

Walkers 2 rolls 2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I only worked the Central Square area near my lab. I work for Quest Diagnostics.

HEY, I stopped at TD bank today (in the burb I live in) and since I was getting some money asked for 2 rolls of dimes and asked them who they use to get boxes from. They said they use Garda, I thought I had heard that Garda doesn't "give out" silver, will have to research.

ANYWAY, I opened the two rolls, first one - skunk, second one a 1964 ROOSEVELT DIME! :occasion14:

I am hooked again!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions