Is it worthwhile searching or will I just get aggravated again?

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
A few years ago I was CRHing, would spend my lunch hour walking bank to bank in Cambridge and on weekends I would hit my local banks. I found the occasional 40% half and a few dimes and 2 90% halves, then I hit the jackpot, I got 32 rolls from my dump bank, that I hadn't been at in a while, 29 of them were my rolls (had my mark on them) but two of them were entirely Walkers, 40 in all, 20 in each roll!
After that I just sat on my laurels feeling I couldn't beat that.
about a month ago I went by my local coin shop and talked to Lou about coin roll hunting, he told me that there are at least 30 people in the area CRHing and that is just those he knows about not the ones who go to other shops. He said most are always skunked as there are so many of them doing it.

I have been taking a diffent tack, I will stop at the shop and buy a couple dimes or quarters or a half most Saturdays that I can remember to stop by or have a couple extra bucks.

The thing is, while it is a sure thing and I am basically using the money from gas that I don't spend driving around to the different banks, it just isn't as much fun and there isn't the thrill of the chase.
Reading these posts, stuff is being found but how much compared to the number of searchers? Of course I have bought paydirt to find gold and there if you run a 50% return you are doing great. But it is the thought that you might get more than they expect to give you.
Even writing this I am starting to get the bug, want to go out and find some silver, but feel I will be let down again.

Has anyone ever done a study of time spent and cost associated (gas etc) to silver found? I did that for THing, and found in one year that I did well I averaged making 39 cents an hour and that was without factoring gas and batteries.

Walkers 2 rolls 2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh and my local Bank of America refuses to sell any rolls or boxes to anyone who doesn't have a business because the manager doesn't like CRHers.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know about any studies done but If Crhing is how you make a living you need a new job. I would only consider it for fun. You will waste gas and time but its the thrill of the hunt that keeps you going. Keep Hunting!!!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and my local Bank of America refuses to sell any rolls or boxes to anyone who doesn't have a business because the manager doesn't like CRHers.

I bank with BoA and have never had a problem. They've always been happy to sell or order. Perhaps the problem is others are bringing their dumps back there. Maybe ask if that's the problem and say you won't bring the coins back. It definitely isn't their policy to not sell to customers.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your never going to strike it rich doing CRH. But I do it because I love the thrill of finding that silver rim. I also love getting silver for face value. I am 100% sure that I have spent more money on gas then I have found silver.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
i averaged a little over $10 an hour last year CRHing. That is with a low ball of silver At $17 per ounce. im holding right at about that same average so far this year. 2013 was higher.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Your never going to strike it rich doing CRH. But I do it because I love the thrill of finding that silver rim. I also love getting silver for face value. I am 100% sure that I have spent more money on gas then I have found silver.

Gotta disagree with 'never'.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW that is great, you must not be in the Boston area! When I look back to how many boxes I searched in the Boston area, except for the fact that I struck it with those two rolls, I am in the cents. I figure that I have spent about 300 hours searching and have 44 halves and about 10 dimes so it is about $1.20 an hour, without those 2 it is 10 cents an hour

but it is like fishing, I also have to admit that it is like feeling like Indiana Jones, even if you get discouraged as I did, you still get the urge to go.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW that is great, you must not be in the Boston area! When I look back to how many boxes I searched in the Boston area, except for the fact that I struck it with those two rolls, I am in the cents. I figure that I have spent about 300 hours searching and have 44 halves and about 10 dimes so it is about $1.20 an hour, without those 2 it is 10 cents an hour

but it is like fishing, I also have to admit that it is like feeling like Indiana Jones, even if you get discouraged as I did, you still get the urge to go.
Realistic answer.

Rick624

Sep 8, 2014
Eastern Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Old Whites 6000, Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like we're neighbors. I just started and I'm having fun. I used to blow a good portion of my money on scratch tickets, now finding silver or unique coins gives me the same thrill of winning, and I get full face value for the losers. Much better addiction.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Rick
THAT is the best description of CRHing I have heard! There is a thrill to trying to win on scratch tickets, it is the exact same thrill with finding silver! (and gold in buying paydirt)

Have you seen a lot of fellow searchers or should I say have you seen at the banks that they constantly tell you someone had just been there to ask for coins?

I live about 3 miles from Foxboro Stadium where the WORLD CHAMPION PATRIOTS play.

Rick624

Sep 8, 2014
Eastern Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right outside Boston, every bank I use they tell me somebody already asked, or I have these but they're not silver. I take and put them into the Loomis stream my dump banks use. Now in the Loomis stream is a copper hoarders dream 75.00 in pre 76 memorials I took all the wheats 300 of them. Hey it's melting today soon I can start swinging again. With CRH and detecting I'll be stacking. Ever want to get together and detect or compare collections PM me.

It's great living in Title Town all the history and championships.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
If you get up to the gun show in Wilmington this weekend I will have a table there. The Boston Police Guns collection, I display my collection there.

PART_1420413394387_IMG_20150103_143418204%20resize_zpsczwy8yg7.jpg

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got back from my local TD Bank, had to make a deposit. I asked if they had any halves, didn't but that is the first step!
I am pretty sure like BOA in the past they wouldn't order halves, I asked today as I am on a first name basis with most of them there, and they said they just made the order but to stop in Mon or Tue and I can order a box or two.
So that is what I will do. I won't use their coin machine to dump them, I will go to another TD in the next town, don't want to wear out my welcome.

Rick624

Sep 8, 2014
Eastern Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over here BOA gets Brinks Boxes, and DCU, Rockland Trust use Loomis. My first box o halfs was loomis a skunk, my next 2 were brinks 7-40% I don't know who TD uses. Have Fun at the gun show, I probably won't make it.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I quit again recently after about a seven-year run. I first started right before the big run-up in 1980.
I still love the hobby but no longer run the banks because of misc account fees minimal finds.
I earn close to six figures annually, so the costs of crh'ing don't much matter to me, but the principles behind the fees are what's soured me against the greedy banks. I don't know what motivates all the hunters in your area, what with depressed silver prices lately, it makes no sense to me, unless they are retirees with nothing else to do * saw that a lot in my area in the past.

Johnny_Omerta

Nov 26, 2014
Texas/Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt in Oklahoma and North Texas since I spend my time pretty much equally in both places. I buy every week some weeks I buy eveyday. I have been sober for nearly two years and this is like my addiction now. It may be what some people would call an obsession. I like the hunt. I like finding silver at face. Sh*t I'm all about it. I have a full time job and help run my wife's business with her so its not just elderly folks with nothing else to do. My hopes is that I can get elderly and be sitring on a mountain of a stack. Its like another retirement for me. Something like my 401k.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
fistfullofdirt
I agree with you on the fees banks charge. I wouldn't mind having to have a small minimum balance, TD will give a free checking with a $100 balance.

I'm going to get a couple boxes of halves or maybe I will start with one next week at TD and see what I get. I will also find out who my TD uses for deliveries.

Is there any difference between Loomis and Brinks as far as halves? I thought I had heard that Loomis seems to be pulling silver out?

after years of buying a dime here and a dime there out of coffee money I have a coffee can of dimes one of quarters and one of the pounder's of halves, now I am waiting for silver to hit $50 and stay there as I am too cheap to sell

I LOVE FEELING LIKE SCROOGE MCDUCK!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions