Silver Coins, What Then

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this site and the CRH concept. When you do this (and some people appear to do it a LOT) what do you do with all the silver coins once you have the ones you want to keep. I assume at some point people get rid of some/sell them to gain a bit of money and not have to store tons of coins. Thoughts/advice?

thanks
Brad

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save them to spend during the apocalypse. Just joking. I save mine for when silver reaches over $50 and then I'm selling it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
As stated, some folks wait to the price of Silver goes up then sell them. Others, may turn some or all of them over right away to the best paying Buyer. I would recommend that if you can afford to do so, hold onto all that you find as a hedge against future runaway inflation when Silver prices will likely be through the roof! If such a scenario happens and I believe it will, currency and coins will be almost worthless but you will still be able to buy what you need with Silver, Gold and precious Gems.

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated, some folks wait to the price of Silver goes up then sell them. Others, may turn some or all of them over right away to the best paying Buyer. I would recommend that if you can afford to do so, hold onto all that you find as a hedge against future runaway inflation when Silver prices will likely be through the roof! If such a scenario happens and I believe it will, currency and coins will be almost worthless but you will still be able to buy what you need with Silver, Gold and precious Gems.

Frank

Something else we agree on Frank!

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with Frank. This is currently what I am doing with the silver I've found; saving it for the future.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, saving for the future. It's kind of like poor man investing in silver. Most people have the money but not the time, so they buy silver. People who have time and money, but with some brains, crh for their silver. Plus it is fun, I believe that is the most important part.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my non-liquid savings account. I have a cash savings account, but I always seem to dip into it (just bought a sweet full MIL-SPEC Spike's Tactical AR-15, for instance).

I like hunting instead of just buying silver, because first off, I like the thrill of the hunt; but also, because I like that my hoard is worth more than it cost me to amass.

If silver prices shoot up, I'll sell. If there is an emergency that I need a large amount of cash for, I'll sell. If the **** hits the fan and the world as we know it is destroyed, I'll use it for barter.

If none of the above happen, I'll have something of worth to pass down to my kids.

JoseyWales23

Jan 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, saving for the future. It's kind of like poor man investing in silver. Most people have the money but not the time, so they buy silver. People who have time and money, but with some brains, crh for their silver. Plus it is fun, I believe that is the most important part.

It's exciting when you unwrap a roll and see that silver shining!

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All very sound advice, I hold on to my little collection for future or for grandkids

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All very sound advice, I hold on to my little collection for future or for grandkids

make sure you educate them, or your collection might end up in the system to be found by younger generation of CRHers.

OP
OP
R

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the great advice. I think I'm gonna go digging on Sunday and look for banks on Monday. Of course that is after the honey do list for Saturday:>) GL and HH...Brad

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver. Lousy investment, greater hedge.
If SHTF, toilet paper will rule.
What good will silver be in barter, when you're the only one that holds any?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toilet paper might rule when the whiskey and cigarettes are gone. :icon_thumright: I know plenty of smokers that would trade ALL their food for a few packs of smokes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions