Buffalo and War Nickels like to hang out together

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my parents house today for my brothers birthday tomorrow and figured I would get a few more boxes of nickels. I got a brinks box and a loomis box at a different bank. The brinks box in the first 8 rolls produced 3 war nickels! I started the loomis box to see if it would be as productive. The loomis was ALL 2014 P. SO disappointed to say the least but I figured that would happen eventually. I finished the brinks box and ended with 5 war nickels all Ps and 5 buffalo nickels. 3 were dateless and another was very hard to read but I was able to see a 20 so 1920 and the final one is a beautiful 1936!

One roll had two war nickels which was my first! One of the dateless buffs had a mint mark of a D.

Pic below.

3.6.15 Ncikels.jpg

Upvote 0

zach attack

Jul 10, 2014
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score, glad to see someone doing good with nickels. Found a 1943 p war nickel today out of 100 crw, been a solid month since if found silver. HH

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my parents house today for my brothers birthday tomorrow and figured I would get a few more boxes of nickels. I got a brinks box and a loomis box at a different bank. The brinks box in the first 8 rolls produced 3 war nickels! I started the loomis box to see if it would be as productive. The loomis was ALL 2014 P. SO disappointed to say the least but I figured that would happen eventually. I finished the brinks box and ended with 5 war nickels all Ps and 5 buffalo nickels. 3 were dateless and another was very hard to read but I was able to see a 20 so 1920 and the final one is a beautiful 1936!

One roll had two war nickels which was my first! One of the dateless buffs had a mint mark of a D.

Pic below.

View attachment 1128015
Hey what do you look for in nickels instead of wars and buffs? I just started nickels and someone said keep anything before 1960? I found two 41 d yesterday and some 55s is that worth keeping I have no idea!?

OP
OP
S

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey what do you look for in nickels instead of wars and buffs? I just started nickels and someone said keep anything before 1960? I found two 41 d yesterday and some 55s is that worth keeping I have no idea!?

It depends on what you want to collect. I collect all war nickels, buffalo and V nics. In addition, I am working on completing my folders just need 7 more to have a complete circulated set. I have been setting aside the lower minted coins as well but only the ones that were minted in 12 million or less quantity so I do not have an enormous stock of old nickels laying around. There are some coins to look for that are errors such as D over D or S over D or D over S in some of the early coins. Finally two other types I am on the look out for are the Henning counterfeit nickels where there was a handful of different years made and then the 2005 error buffalos.

It is all about preference. Good luck and happy hunting!

Sean

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread