7 weeks of skunks

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currently battling a nasty skunk streak of 7 weeks on halve boxes. Now I only pick up 2 boxes a week so the skunk streak is at 14 boxes. I know many of you have had 20+, even 30+ skunk streaks, but for some of you, you pick up 10 boxes of halves a week.

For the consistent hunters out there, how many weeks or months have you gone without silver in a box of halves? What was the box totals?

Ps. This post is for enamel

Upvote 0

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Last summer, a 14-box 3-week skunk streak. I average 6 boxes a week.

That said, one of the boxes the following week has 23 silver halves. Just gotta power through them.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around 3 weeks for me. At the time I was doing eleven boxes of halves per week. And my skunk streak was at least 32 boxes. The box before the streak started gave up a single 40%er, and the box that broke the streak gave up a single 40%er. Was a tough month for me.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around 3 weeks for me. At the time I was doing eleven boxes of halves per week. And my skunk streak was at least 32 boxes. The box before the streak started gave up a single 40%er, and the box that broke the streak gave up a single 40%er. Was a tough month for me.
32+ is incredible.... I just pray mine streak won't last that long.... That would be about 4 months at my 2 per week rate

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
32+ is incredible.... I just pray mine streak won't last that long.... That would be about 4 months at my 2 per week rate
I was actually able to get my hands on a $500 bag of halves... Absolutely nothing and now I have to roll them all up :BangHead::sadsmiley:

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get discouraged on the bag skunk. Based on other posts here bags can produce really well. I was able to buy bags about 4 months ago down south of you, but they aren't available any more, I did really well with those

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get discouraged on the bag skunk. Based on other posts here bags can produce really well. I was able to buy bags about 4 months ago down south of you, but they aren't available any more, I did really well with those
Did you have to roll them all back up?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to find a silver half this year.
Keep going dude I started off strong but have fell short recently .. Try going to different pockets of banks(like towns with a lot of banks around) I wouldn't just stick to buying boxes only if that's what you're doing. Cwr halves can produce very well

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you have to roll them all back up?

No I bag dump. $500 bags to the bank. Tellers like this better... if you bring them $500 of re-rolled halves they would have to unroll them, dump them in a bag and send them off with the courier. Saves me time and the bank time

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in a skunk streak too (when it comes to boxes). When this has happened in the past I've taken a break and come back, and then I usually find silver again. The alternative is to just keep going or even increase your volume, but in the end you have to do what you feel like doing. I personally have never had the time or interest for high volumes.

The only saving grace is that last weekend a teller I know mentioned she had some halves while she was getting me some CWRs of other coins (I pick up cents, nickels, dimes and quarters from just one branch occasionally). She had 3 halves - 1 90% Ken and 2 40% Kens. Teller trays won't give you much volume to search, but it's easy and has decent yields.

By the way, I know folks say that the code stamped on boxes doesn't mean anything, but I track them anyway and Brinks 6429 has never, ever produced one keeper.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way, I know folks say that the code stamped on boxes doesn't mean anything, but I track them anyway and Brinks 6429 has never, ever produced one keeper.

I have been keeping box stamp stats this year and have also noted a strict trend between stamp code and yield. One stamp has produced zero over 16 boxes, and another stamp has pretty consistently produced a little less than one silver per box over 40 boxes

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm currently battling a nasty skunk streak of 7 weeks on halve boxes. Now I only pick up 2 boxes a week so the skunk streak is at 14 boxes. I know many of you have had 20+, even 30+ skunk streaks, but for some of you, you pick up 10 boxes of halves a week.

For the consistent hunters out there, how many weeks or months have you gone without silver in a box of halves? What was the box totals?

Ps. This post is for enamel

I'm 0 for 3 on the halves boxes(I gave up figuring someone on the other end was pilfering); I switched to dime and quarter boxes---both produced pretty good at first but now on a cold streak.....I'm on 1 silver dime(a mercury) in the last 10 boxes, and 0 silver quarters in the last 4 boxes(it does get discouraging). I've done a LOT better metal detecting: in the last month I've found a 1945 walking liberty half dollar, a standing liberty quarter, and 3 silver dimes(one was a mercury found on TOP of ground in a little used area of an OLD park--we had a few windy days there). I LOVE CRH and don't plan on giving up anytime soon---I can't imagine a cold streak lasting longer than 10 boxes. HH

Last edited:

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
It really is a crap shoot, as I too have gone 28ish boxes in a row with nothing to show, then an awesome box of (at the time) $425.00 worth of silver. I look at it as a game, you win some and lose some but overall finding silver at face value is worth it. Right now I'm doing OK with some decent finds over the past 8 boxes.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have been keeping box stamp stats this year and have also noted a strict trend between stamp code and yield. One stamp has produced zero over 16 boxes, and another stamp has pretty consistently produced a little less than one silver per box over 40 boxes

Same here, I've also noticed a trend between coded stamps and whether or not those boxes produce. Not only with halves, but with dimes as well. I have a list of codes that have never produced, a list that produce moderately well, and a shorter list that produce a lot.

There are many assumptions that I've made regarding the codes, but the two that I believe in most are: either the codes correspond to where the coins that go into the boxes come from or the codes correspond to who is doing the quality assurance on the boxes. But really, I don't freakin' know.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8 weeks and 17 boxes now on the skunks :censored:

I've been lucky enough to find two small collection dumps this year to keep me sane, but the streak is now a new record for me.

May all the skunk streaks out their end soon

JoseyWales23

Jan 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8 weeks and 17 boxes now on the skunks :censored:

I've been lucky enough to find two small collection dumps this year to keep me sane, but the streak is now a new record for me.

May all the skunk streaks out their end soon

My current skunk streak is 7 boxes.... :sadsmiley:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions