Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Just spent some time on the phone, 3 more banks won't order halves but then two said they would, the first I am not sure about as I was told no problem at TD Bank and then when they couldn't get them they said no.

The other Dedham Savings said yes they can order them, it is $1000 per box. I am assuming that is a box of 2,000 not 1,000!

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am way south of Boston (like several states below) and can get boxes no problem. I actually turn down a lot of offers to order them for me.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got off the phone with Dedham Savings, they originally said they would order the halves but when they called back they said that they "will" order the halves but they are not really happy doing it.
They said they get charged to order coins and so they will do it this one time but I own the coins and CANNOT bring them back to the bank. Of course I have two banks with coin counters that I will dump them at.
They also said they normally ONLY order coins for their commercial customers and are reluctant to order for other customers. They said they had to discuss this with several managers and finally decided to LET me order some coins.

I will need to find a bank that will actually do that willingly

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I know when I first asked my pickups whether they could order me halves they all said no. This wasn't because they couldn't,but actually just because there wasn't a line on their coin order form to include half dollars, so they didn't know that they actually could.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm, I just tried Bank of America and they said they couldn't.

I will talk to the manager at TD Bank and see if he can force them to do something, but I don't hold out much hope.

The Dedham Savings I hadn't had my account open very long.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tad bank can't do it, it's a corporate policy. So you can scratch them off the list... BoA is pulling your chain... Lol

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a pain for Dedham Savings to do it I wouldn't push it, just tell them to not worry about it but that you would appreciate it if they could give you any halves that happen to be in the bank (in teller drawers, the vault, etc.). You can be the "half dollar guy" and ask them every so often if they have any. Better to have a good relationship than one box of halves that will probably be a skunk anyway.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Bank Of America will and so does Chase, along with Great Western, BBVD Bank and two local credit unions have and do order halves for me here in Arizona. No I don't have accounts at all of these either, but I do drop off boxes of cookies :laughing7: and the tellers look forward to me coming in. I drop off the cookies even when not ordering boxes of halves, keeps them on a friendly basis.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
one thing I have found since getting back into roll hunting is how many people are doing it here in the Boston area. Each bank has told me that at least 6-10 guys are asking for halves and two of my local coin dealers know of at least 25-30 people actively hitting all the banks.

I have been getting a bunch of dime rolls in the past week, 82 so far, and have found 2 rosies. One thing about dimes is the banks are HAPPY to provide them! WIth them happy to provide them, I can still get the thrill of finding silver while at least asking for halves and CWR's of halves, so that may be the plan, be the dime guy.

I also have been trying to put together a full set of circ Jeffersons, complete back to 1960 so far and have about a dozen dates to go.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hmm, I just tried Bank of America and they said they couldn't.

I will talk to the manager at TD Bank and see if he can force them to do something, but I don't hold out much hope.

The Dedham Savings I hadn't had my account open very long.

Td company policy is they will bit order halves anymore. Changed about two years ago

Rick624

Sep 8, 2014
Eastern Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Old Whites 6000, Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live outside of Boston western suburbs, got one from DCU, Loomis, they then told me no more because they are charged, got 4 from Watertown Savings Bank, Brinks now they are refusing. I opened an account with Bank of America and they said they will order for me two different branches. I think they use Gardia at one of the branches. Won't know until next month when I replenish my CRH bankroll. DCU and Rockland Trust in Watertown is Loomis they get my dumps. Hope this helps.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think one reason banks DON'T order halves, they don't want to be stuck with them if you are a NO SHOW. Don't think they can return them to coin processor.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, they have a fear of bein stuck with them, or you brining them back to them...

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
In the last 6 months I have picked up 5 boxes ( including 1 today ) from banks that when I asked if they had any halves told me that they had a full box that was ordered for a customer that did not come back in for them. They all have told me how much they appreciated me taking them since it cost them to order them and would cost them to send them back.
Today's box was a skunk.
But, one a few months ago was one of my best ever boxes.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
That agrees with what the bank told me, they wanted to make sure I had the money in my account, since I was a new customer and that I agreed not to dump them there.
They have a $1000 box coming for me Tuesday. I will dump them at two banks that won't order halves, one being TD. In fact my local TD said feel free to use the coin counter to "dump"

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That agrees with what the bank told me, they wanted to make sure I had the money in my account, since I was a new customer and that I agreed not to dump them there.
They have a $1000 box coming for me Tuesday. I will dump them at two banks that won't order halves, one being TD. In fact my local TD said feel free to use the coin counter to "dump"
All of the TD's around here have the coin counters set to fill at $100 so you might want to do a test run to find out, or ask them.
I found out the hard way, took in $1400 to dump, well, 14 bag changes later I finally got my money and got out of there.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I will ask them.

I just got a call from the manager at one of the BOA branches, I had asked her whether they could order boxes of halves and they said they would check. Well she just called to let me know that she has a box for me to pickup when I can. THat was nice of her.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one thing I have found since getting back into roll hunting is how many people are doing it here in the Boston area. Each bank has told me that at least 6-10 guys are asking for halves and two of my local coin dealers know of at least 25-30 people actively hitting all the banks.

I have been getting a bunch of dime rolls in the past week, 82 so far, and have found 2 rosies. One thing about dimes is the banks are HAPPY to provide them! WIth them happy to provide them, I can still get the thrill of finding silver while at least asking for halves and CWR's of halves, so that may be the plan, be the dime guy.

You answered your own question

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread