mistaken identity score

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
I'm visiting a friend about 110 miles from home. We went to the store and I go into a bank in the shopping center. I asked the teller if she had any halves. She said no but then the teller next to her leans over and says "hay how are you doing. I have not seen you in a while. " I have never been in this bank before or seen this guy. I tell him I have been busy. He then reaches into his drawer and pulls out 7 rolls of cwr halves and tells me he had been saving them for me but was almost about to give up on me. I apologise and again tell him I have been real busy. I thank him very much for thinking about me and I buy the rolls. I did not even wait to get back to my friends house. I start opening them in the car. 23 silver :)
(7 ) 1964
(9) 1967
(5) 1968
(2) 1969
Thank you very much who ever you are that has not been to this bank in a while. I think my wife is upset with me that I did not tell him I was not who he thought I was.

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing, but I agree with your wife.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your wife will get over it, and you will be 23 silvers richer. That's a friggin awesome story. That guy will probably walk in there on Monday morning, and teller Joe will think to himself "oh my, what have I done?" And then he will feel dumb, not say a word, except for "thanks for the chocolates" that just walked in the door with "YOU" who just upped the ante thanks to the 2 40%ers Joe saved for "you" last time. And at the end of the day, Joe gets his chocolate, you get your 23 silvers, and "you" don't know what "you" missed out on.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have done the same thing, and would have had an upset wife also. But when CRHing you take those opportunities when they come.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
I don't think Joe the teller is going to lose any sleep over it. He doesn't know that there was silver in the rolls.
I have been real busy lately. And, more importantly I have 23 more silver halves to add to my stack.
So goes the CRH game.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Nor Cal, I'm going to follow your lead and start actively seeking banks that I've never been to. My beginner's luck streak is about petered out. Need to do something different.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't seem like an ethical lapse to me. In some sense, you were the one he was saving those rolls for...I would have done the same. Where is the gray line of telling a falsehood or allowing someone to believe something you know is not accurate or exaggerating a story a bit...I wish I was a 100% true all the time, but I'm afraid I don't succeed at least 100% of the time. I do draw a line at short rolls...I can't stand being shorted in a roll so I work very hard to be accurate.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
I don't feel like I lied to or deceived the teller. I don't think there is anyone here that has not told a half truth when asked
"What do you do with all these coins"
I too am very carefull not to short a roll when rerolling. Since there are no banks with coin counters around me every mwr has to be rerolled.

silvereyes

Jan 7, 2011
I think the teller was making a pass at you. He saves up half rolls and has a thing for coin rollers. When a good looking coin roller as yourself walks in ,he puts the moves on. Knowing you can't resist a CWR.
Great way to pick up men..LOL.. Your wife better keep an eye on you !!!

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
I think the teller was making a pass at you. He saves up half rolls and has a thing for coin rollers. When a good looking coin roller as yourself walks in ,he puts the moves on. Knowing you can't resist a CWR.
Great way to pick up men..LOL.. Your wife better keep an eye on you !!!

LOL you know I did think he was looking at me funny. And, maybe I saw a wink.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
he was saving the silver for you ..and your "wife" was up set that you fooled him ... uh the teller was a guy and so are you ?..maybe that's why she is upset with you..... and you say there was a wink / flirt involved ? by any chance were you in san francisco?

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
he was saving the silver for you ..and your "wife" was up set that you fooled him ... uh the teller was a guy and so are you ?..maybe that's why she is upset with you..... and you say there was a wink / flirt involved ? by any chance were you in san francisco?

Seriously?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
just kidding but just think -- if the teller as a guy wanted to hit up on another guy and needed a "opening line" ... the old "I got some coins for you" bit could be one. and I'm sure there are some gay tellers out there .--not gay bashing.... but just stating a fact.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow this thread got off topic! I'll try to bring it back on topic. I would have done the same thing as the OP. Its not like he stole the rolls from the bank. He gave them money for the rolls. So what if the teller thought he was somebody else. If I was the OP I would make a stop in the same bank about once every few weeks to see if I could get what the teller is saving.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
The only problem with going back is that it is over 100 miles away. Don't know when I will be back up there. When I do go back up there I will stop in there.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with your wife, you did wrong:censored:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think about it like a box; if you order a box and don't show up for weeks the bank has a right to move those coins. I've gotten boxes from banks that people don't pick up. The teller held them for a reasonable time, but it's a bank, and if people want them, they give them.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
haha awesome story, but even better haul!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread