Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I was counting another 16 BWR of dimes at TD Bank. As I always to I checked the reject tray. There was a bunch of foreign stuff and some dimes and a quarter, I pulled out the foreign and ran the rest back through the sorter.

I got very lucky because the quarter rejected again, although it looked fine.

I decided to check it, it was a SILVER 1962 Washington! I had fed it back in but it had wanted to go home with me! I can't believe I didn't catch that the first time. I don't see any reason it rejected, as far as I know the TD coin machines don't reject silver or go by weight (?)

Some had sorted coins before me and hadn't checked the rejects, lucky for me!

Upvote 0

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
The are some small differences between a 90% silver and a 91.7% copper (weight, electromagnetic properties) that may cause a rejection of any silver quarter.

My experience is that coin counters will reject older, worn coins
Most silver coins fit the description. Your coin is 53 years old!

If you are curious, test it with a BU/AU Washington quarter
Chances are good, it will be accepted.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
No way! Just like I can't bring myself to cut up a silver coin with my scrollsaw I couldn't risk a silver coin in a coin counter.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magner and Scancoin machines reject silver, wheats and IH's, and all Canadian P,N,D,&Q. missed a rosie last week and machine spit it back

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm, I wonder what the bank would think if I got 20 rolls of dimes and walked right over to the counter and let it look for silver for me?

:occasion14:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm, I wonder what the bank would think if I got 20 rolls of dimes and walked right over to the counter and let it look for silver for me?

:occasion14:

you can do that, if you went to another TD bank. However the task would be tedious, unwrapping, dumping and pressing Go. best to go out check through every roll, take it to another branch and dump..

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I could never let a machine determine if I had silver, I would worry it accepted one!

Bank of America just called me to say they have a box of halves for me. I hadn't ordered them, just asked if they could get them. I will get them tomorrow!

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sometimes, the silver quarter might have been higher up in the reject tube. It might have been knocked out by some of your coins or the coins you dumped in from the slot...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread