Think I have Created a Monster

Masao

Aug 13, 2014
Chicago, IL
Primary Interest:
Other
Last night I was working through 4 boxes of halves at the kitchen table while my girl friend was watching TV. She thinks that I am wasting my time and money with this hobby, but goes along because I put the money back in the bank. After watching me pull 2 40%, a 64 Kennedy and 3 Walking Liberties from the first three boxes, she says that I seem to be doing ok. About a quarter of the way into box four she reaches over and opens a roll. Upon opening her 3rd roll she finds a Walking Liberty. Now she can spot a silver from the side, of course she finds 2 more Walking Liberties to mine one find. This, by the way, is my best haul in four months. Guess I should have her help more often.

1 x 1967

1 x 1968

1 x 1964

Plus 7 walkers: 1917-S, 1918-S, 1940-D, 1940-P, 1942-D, 1943-P and a really nice 1941-D (not sure of the grade, but it is sharp, has nice luster and you can see all of the lines on the high ridges of her dress).

Brad

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess it would be better for you to drive to & from the bank, buy the boxes, and have HER do all the searching. Appears that she a good eye for AG.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread made me laugh. Back when I first started this hobby, my wife thought the same thing. One day she decided to help me look through 12 boxes of halves. Low and behold she pulls a '64 ken out of her first box. Funny thing about that is that I haven't even found a 90%er yet. My wife found the first 90% half in my collection. Ever since then she helps me out on occasion.

HH

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oh my wife liked it when I found $100 of free cash and showed her how it was a "no lose" ... can't lose money can only gain --if you find silver ... explained that its like a no lose --can only win slot machine ... sorting thru the coins is like playing a slot machine for free ..and every now and then you win (find silver) ... all the coins that I hit silver on was my "free money" to blow as I choose .. that way I NEVER HAD TO TOIUCH "HOUSE MONEY" FOR GETTING MY FUN STUFF..

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like hearing from you all about this. I'm new and have yet to find anything in halves. I found a few mercs, but nothing but dirt for the halves. My wife thinks I'm crazy too. I would love to hit a few times so I could show here that it really does happen. For now I just have to put up with her razzing. The ultimate would be to get enough to help pay for an AT PRO. I have a Garrett 350, but would love to have a good wet MD. GL &HH...Brad

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I said the same thing, I spend the money to buy a box or two, hunt the coins, take the checked over boxes back to a bank and walk out with my original money back and if i found silver, replace those coins. The 40% coins I found over the years are to me the gravy, I sold $100 face once and got one thousand dollars that I spend on home improvements. The next time I sold $120 face for another grand and bought something my wife wanted. That was the thing that got her to REALLY like my coin roll hunting hobby. Now she is very enthusiastic in my hunting and even helping once in a while. All the 90% coins are rolled and stacked waiting for that special something she wants, I just hope it is when the silver values go up and not now.....

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on creating a monster. Wish I could succeed in turning my wife into a silver monster. She's good luck, though. First time I had her pick a silver out of a roll for me, it turned out to be a Barber--the only one I've ever found.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to be my wife would hang on to her loose change. Since I started up the coin collection again and have been showing her my finds.......especially the silver..........she can't wait to empty her change out onto my sorting table!! :laughing7:
........and she has a ball spending some of the Kennedys............she loves seeing the reactions of the cashiers.................

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said the same thing, I spend the money to buy a box or two, hunt the coins, take the checked over boxes back to a bank and walk out with my original money back and if i found silver, replace those coins. The 40% coins I found over the years are to me the gravy, I sold $100 face once and got one thousand dollars that I spend on home improvements. The next time I sold $120 face for another grand and bought something my wife wanted. That was the thing that got her to REALLY like my coin roll hunting hobby. Now she is very enthusiastic in my hunting and even helping once in a while. All the 90% coins are rolled and stacked waiting for that special something she wants, I just hope it is when the silver values go up and not now.....

Someday, silver will show $50 an ounce. I'm very sure. But maybe we have to wait 50 years or more, who knows.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread