teller wants to sell

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
One of my favorite tellers at one of my pick-up banks pulled me aside today and asked me if I would be interested in buying silver dimes and quarters from her. She has been a teller for over 30 years and has been pulling out the silver in her try. She said that she doesn't check rolls but whenever she sees silver in her tray she has been buying it. She said she wants 9 times face. She knows it is more than what the lcs will pay but is less than melt value. If I am not interested she will just keep it and leave it for her grand kids.
It is more than I would like to pay but it still is less than melt and I do think silver is about to go back up some.
She is going to call me to tell me how much she has.
She told me that she has never checked the dates. So there might be some key dates.
What do you think?

Upvote 0

JeffG

May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell her you feel comfortable with 8x and see what she says. I usually pay close to that when I buy from tellers

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would pay 9x face. Last weekend my LCS was paying 11.5x face.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Offer her 7x and then you can meet in the middle at 8x face. It sounds like a great deal. Where else can you buy silver cheaper? Besides CRH.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd pay 9x face.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

It can build a relationship too- you may get more in the future from her or other tellers there.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
I'd take it.
I almost bought $390. Face of 90s last week for 110% of melt and I got gun shy bc it was over melt. Ended up costing myself roughly $400 in profit bc silver went up $1.40 since last week

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd take it. If teller has been saving it for 30 years you don't know what you might be buying. Price is down now, but we all assume it's going back up. Practically a sure win. Plus, there's the good chance for some choice finds.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd take it. Assume it be $500 FV of silver and you pay 9x for $4500. Sure it's a big outlay of cash, but consider how long it's going to take you to find that much, how much in gas, trips, time. But best of all, 30 possible years worth of unsearched AG. You could always sell some of it if silver continues a slow climb upwards to offset the big cash outlay.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id buy everything she had at 9x and sell it for 12x. You are CRAZY if you dont buy it!

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
As others have said, even if you are uncomfortable paying the 9x face to hold it, you could easily flip it to another collector for 12x. I've asked every teller that I know hoards silver if they're willing to sell what they've collected, but none so far have been. It seems like they know enough to pull it from circulation but they don't know exactly why. So they just keep holding onto it, which is extremely frustrating. Count your blessings that you've even come across a teller willing to sell.

Last edited:

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to play hard ball, you could try to offer less, but if it's someone you have a relationship with, I think the 9x face price is fair.

I haven't had any trouble selling silver for melt or slightly above melt on craigslist, so that would probably be 12.5x to 13x face at today's prices. My take would be to buy it, look for key dates and either sell all of the junk silver or enough of it such that you have your initial investment back, leaving you with essentially "free" silver. Of course, if you like to hold, nothing wrong with that either, just more risky investment wise as silver could go down.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others have said, take it at 9x and try to flip it at 12x. I'd keep any key dates or anything in really nice condition and flip the rest.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Norcal Im in Socal If you don't want it or can't front it I will go in with you if you are interested. I am always in for a quick flip. lemme know :)

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I always pay 75% of melt value, and today that would be .91 cents, or in your case 9 times face, I think that is a good deal. Don't think you can lose.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Thanks all.
Im waiting to hear from her and I will buy all she has. I will post when I hear from her.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do norcal. I am very interested as to what she has saved up. Hope you get some great rare coins!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread