Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this large cent 001.JPG in a mid-sized town today while visiting banks I don't frequent.

Stopped at first bank and asked for halves. Teller almost jumped over the counter. I thought she was going to give me a kiss or something.:tongue3: She told me they'd been there for a long time! Now I was thinking of kissing her. She asked how many I wanted and I told her I'd take them all. This time she literally started jumping up and down. :laughing9: She was so happy to "finally" get rid of them. $390 worth. $90 in CWR and $300 in MWR. I've opened about half of the MWR and they've been solid skunks.:BangHead: The paper is old and brittle, but no silver yet.

Next bank I visited I know most of the tellers and though I don't use the bank much, I am on good terms with many of the tellers. Asked for halves and the teller I was working with said let's go ask the vault teller. I think she has quite a few in there. Same scene almost. Again, close to $400 in MWR she says. I said I'd take them all. Just as the vault teller was turning to go get them, she turned to me and said, by the way, if you're looking for silver, we've already gone through them and pulled all the silver out. We all pull all the silver we come across! :BangHead::BangHead: I did offer to by their collections if any of them ever decided to sell.

This doesn't bother me personally. I was a butcher for many years. Believe me, If I came across an exceptional looking beef rib or some super fresh swordfish or sea bass, do you think it made it to the counter? No way!! Same thing here. One of the benefits of the job. First dibs on the great stuff!

Any way, out of some other rolls from a couple days ago I got my first 65 half and a 63 Ben. 002.JPG 007.JPG

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking you found an actual old large cent. I was preparing to be way jealous. I had a good laugh when I saw the pic.

It took me almost two years to get a full roll of '65 halves. I find them few and far between.

OP
OP
Greastart

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking you found an actual old large cent. I was preparing to be way jealous. I had a good laugh when I saw the pic.

It took me almost two years to get a full roll of '65 halves. I find them few and far between.

I'm new at this. Still lookin' for my first '70 too. In time....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread