Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's the copper?

Stopped at a local bank for $5.00 in pennies before work. All MWR.........not a copper penny to be found. It's not an unusual happenstance recently and becoming alarming. I did get book fillers for the grandkids' folders and got a solid roll of new 2015's.......the first I've seen.
But, there was bright side to this search............a 19856s proof in excellent condition...............
Ya just never know....................

Upvote 0

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How can you tell it is a "proof?" Or, are you referring to a BU, brilliant uncirculated?

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you tell it is a "proof?" Or, are you referring to a BU, brilliant uncirculated?

My Red Book (current) doesn't make any distinction...........I assumed it was a proof..........Would you have additional information on how to distinguish one from another?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could have caught a copper hoarders dump that went back to the bricks or whatever place re rolled the coins.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
My Red Book (current) doesn't make any distinction...........I assumed it was a proof..........Would you have additional information on how to distinguish one from another?

If it is an 'S' mint from 1986, then it is a proof. The mint didn't produce business strikes at San Fran in the 80's.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is an 'S' mint from 1986, then it is a proof. The mint didn't produce business strikes at San Fran in the 80's.

Good info........thanks, Chizzy!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions