From yesterday.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That last dime box gave me a 1933 or 1923 merc. I picked up one box of halves from BOA, turned out to be yellow wrappers!:hello2: . My BOA in the city, first box was yellow, second box was cube, but mixed with about half yellow wrappers. The last box from boa in the city was a skunk cube box. So far all Black wrappers are skunks for me. Any how, the box from today gave me one 90%er, a 64. weighted all the rolls most came in between 224.9-225.5. the few that weighted in at 225.5+ i set aside and opened them as they came. ALL skunks till i saw mr. 226.7, and i was soo sure i got silver. Picking up another box on thursday from another BOA. fingers crossed.
11092729_10152933862412408_2066385919_n.jpg 11096752_10152933862517408_98001547_n.jpg
Oh i did opened all rolls, dumped 300$ at 3 different TD banks and 200$ re-rolled at a BOA with a sniper teller in the city.

Upvote 0

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me.... This seems like taking all the fun and anticipation out of the hobby.

I'm not trying to knock down your searching method Liu21, I just don't get it.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
It was the 226.7 that hat the 64 ?
Personally I think I still like the anticipation of not knowing when I open the roll. I might try try this though just to see if I can find a roll with silver and give it to my son to open.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
to me.... This seems like taking all the fun and anticipation out of the hobby.

I'm not trying to knock down your searching method Liu21, I just don't get it.

Yes it takes some of the fun out of CRH, but it saves a lot of time when it comes to dumping. I dump between TD bank and BOA. TD will only take loose coins in their coin counter, the bags fill up at 100$. BOA takes rolled coins. SO the more rolls i dont have to open and re roll the better. I believe the benefits outweighs the bad. If i have a dump bank that would take bags of coins, by all i means i will destroy every roll of coins in a box. lol

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was the 226.7 that hat the 64 ?
Personally I think I still like the anticipation of not knowing when I open the roll. I might try try this though just to see if I can find a roll with silver and give it to my son to open.

Yes it was the 226.7 that had the 64. There were some rolls between 225.7-226.0, i checked them hoping for 40%er, but they were skunks... So it is safe to say any roll that is over 226.4 grams has some kind of silver.. I would believe this is how some of those eBay roll sellers do their sales of unsearched rolls.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it takes some of the fun out of CRH, but it saves a lot of time when it comes to dumping. I dump between TD bank and BOA. TD will only take loose coins in their coin counter, the bags fill up at 100$. BOA takes rolled coins. SO the more rolls i dont have to open and re roll the better. I believe the benefits outweighs the bad. If i have a dump bank that would take bags of coins, by all i means i will destroy every roll of coins in a box. lol

What if a roll is short a clad but contains a silver?

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What if a roll is short a clad but contains a silver?

that is a pretty big weight difference. giving a total weight of 215 ish... I believe it would warrant a check of that roll no?

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
that is a pretty big weight difference. giving a total weight of 215 ish... I believe it would warrant a check of that roll no?

Well what if it contains six silvers then? You understand my point. Weighing isn't fool-proof. I would just feel like I could be missing something if I didn't actually crack open the roll and look.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well what if it contains six silvers then? You understand my point. Weighing isn't fool-proof. I would just feel like I could be missing something if I didn't actually crack open the roll and look.

I'm with Avago on this... really interesting topic/debate for sure!

I totally get the dumping scenario you have. My dump bank takes any amount of halves up to $500 so my dump situation is much easier. However, the time it would take to open and re-roll the coin wouldn't take much longer and you take the chance of missing a silver half out of the equation.

I have a CRH in the area that I've not yet met... but he dumps re-rolled halves with un-opened mwr halves all the time. My guess is that he does what you do and weighs the rolls. However, I've bought his dumps and found 40%ers missed in his unopened rolls. The weight difference is so slight that a worn 40%er can slip by.... or even a 90%er mixed in with a bunch of worn clad could possibly be the difference. Or what if you're scale is off. How about if you had a Canadian silver half in the roll at 80% silver... you're up in the New York area so quite possible. Too much chance for me

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If a roll has 6 silvers, the weight of a roll would be over 230.x grams... I understand your point of it not being 100% accurate. That is why I opened all rolls, the only way a silver can be missed. Is if a roll has 19 very well worn clads, and one 40%er. The point of weighting and finding the overweight rolls is to confirm 100% that there is a silver in that roll.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to weigh rolls just for the heck of it. What I found was that if you just went by weight, you'd miss a lot of 40%ers.

I have had a roll that weighed 225.5g that contained 3 40%ers. I had many rolls that weighed 225.3 or less that contained a 40%er. I had many rolls that weighed 226.0-226.8 that contained no silver. Without fail, everything that weighed 227+ contained 90% silver or foreign coins.

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all are too smart for me. I just open everything and hope to see the rims. If in question, I look at each date. My dump takes loose coin and the total is automatically deposited into my account so I don't have to worry about rolls or other such things....Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread