Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.
I'm considering purchasing a bag of 5000 Wheaties for $240 from a coin dealer I've recently been introduced to. Great guy.
I work outdoors, so when it rains I enjoy searching coins. I've thus far purchased a few pounds. Got a few good fillers out of an open bag.
The last full bag produced a 1909S VDB in about good condition. Dealer repurchased this coin for $425.
But really, what are the chances these days of finding an outstanding cent?
To buy or not to buy is my question.
Thanks
Peace ✌

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
$0.048 per cent.

I don't believe you can go wrong with this deal even if you don't find a big buck coin. Wheats are always keepers, IMO.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad price, plus if you say you enjoy searching them then have some fun!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know. Seems high to me. Lets say you buy them. You will have multiple duplicates for just about every common date. Lets say you pull 50 semi-key coins (maybe $1 each). Then what? How do you get rid of the rest of them? Seems like a collectible dead end to me (I am involved in Olympic Pin trading. It often happens that some one will come over with a great pin to trade. I will give them 20 or 30 pins for it. They will take my pins and go and trade them with other people. They come back to me and will have 3 or 4 that I want. I may give them 10 more pins. They take those and trade them. Eventually, they find themselves in a collectible dead end. They are unable to make any more trades, because they don't have anything that anyone else wants). Lets say you have 4900 common wheat cents. What do you do with them?

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.
The Wheats I have and/or will have won't see a CoinStar machine, obviously.
But that brings up a good point. What does a person do with searched copper cents?
It would be unacceptable to sell searched cents as unsearched. It surely happens though.
That's my worry. Every single Wheat I've purchased, has probably been searched, yet proclaimed not. Who knows.
Still fun though...
Peace ✌

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't have sold the S VDB back to him. I would have bought the rest of the pennies before he found other key dates in there!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy them, search them, then slowly put them back in the wild for the younger generation to get that itch.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't have sold the S VDB back to him. I would have bought the rest of the pennies before he found other key dates in there!

big mistake selling the svdb back to the same dealer! I'd normally say the price is high, but since the dealer clearly doesnt search them, and you enjoy going through them, I dont think its a bad deal.

and btw....release them back into the wild??? Guess I'm just not that generous.....I'd be selling on ebay or craigslist

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5000 for $240. i think this is to high but that is just me so please do not attack me. i bought 10000 wheats off of ebay for less then $200.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5000 for $240. i think this is to high but that is just me so please do not attack me. i bought 10000 wheats off of ebay for less then $200.

$240 is a little high (unless there's an 09s VDB in every bag). 10000 for $200 is a steal (unless they are all corroded 58d). I've never seen them that cheap on eBay in the almost 20 years I've been on eBay. Not attacking - just sayin. That's 2c each. Plain copper pennies were selling for that not long ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread