Update: Call from bank....big buy

halfhunter

Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out it worked pretty well. Pictures should say it all. A whole pile of wheats, 15 Indians, 49 war nicks, 951 dimes(probably 1/3 mercs), 297 quarters, 126 halves (all bens and franks), 12 40%, 2 morgan and 1 peace. Father and I purchased them all together and we had a good time. All because my dump bank called and gave them my name. 20150408_204250.jpg 20150408_204301.jpg 20150408_204308.jpg 20150408_204314.jpg 20150408_204317.jpg Enjoy the pics.

Upvote 0

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

Wow, congrats, you must be one heck of a charmer.
Its one of those things that just defy any semblance of logic that someone at a bank would actually call a coin roll hunter to inform them that they have about 300 quarters worth $3 a piece just in their weight in silver alone, and another few hundred dollars worth of discontinued currency (also worth 10x its face value in silver alone) that he can simply exchange for its face value, without simply buying it themselves.

Does that happen often?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
From OP's original thread:

I received a call from my bank yesterday. They told me they have a customer wanting to get rid of a large quantity of coins that are all silver. They know they don't have to call me for permission to give out my number, but they did anyway. After I got off the phone with the teller, about 5 mins later my phone rings. I start talking to this guy whose mother in law passed a while back. Turns out she used to work as a teller for 30 some years. He then tells me that he weighed the amount of coins she had saved......26 lbs. All different denominations.

Congrats halfhunter! Are the totals that are written down on the paper how much you paid for each set of coins?

OP
OP
halfhunter

halfhunter

Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats halfhunter! Are the totals that are written down on the paper how much you paid for each set of coins?

Yes they are. Might be tough to see. Spent roughly 2466 total. Already found a 32 d quarter and a few plain 16 merc dimes. Guys mom passes away and was a teller for 30 some odd years. Would have been a lot more there, but she saved all coins from the 1960s including quarters and dimes (1965-69). Had to do a lot of sorting.

OP
OP
halfhunter

halfhunter

Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have got a few calls from some of my banks and they usually work out very well.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, congrats, you must be one heck of a charmer.
Its one of those things that just defy any semblance of logic that someone at a bank would actually call a coin roll hunter to inform them that they have about 300 quarters worth $3 a piece just in their weight in silver alone, and another few hundred dollars worth of discontinued currency (also worth 10x its face value in silver alone) that he can simply exchange for its face value, without simply buying it themselves.

Does that happen often?

What?

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
You'd better bring a treat to that teller that played middle man to set up the deal! That's definitely not in their job description and they did you a huge favor. Congrats on the score!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's what you call a good find. A big congrats on that mega-find. At the right place at the right time.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

Go back and read what I wrote. Slower this time. Don't go on to the next sentence until you have really mastered the one before it.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back and read what I wrote. Slower this time. Don't go on to the next sentence until you have really mastered the one before it.

As was said, the teller was the middle man. The OP didn't buy them at face. The teller knew who had the coins and didn't want to screw them over.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That was only one long run on sentence. I can't go on to the next one because I haven't mastered the first one. And your analysis of the situation was incorrect. I was with him, I didn't get the post either, so I just moved on.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have moved on as well but for some reason I git quoted

Still an awesome buy though, I'm jealous.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread