Mint marks

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 100% new to CRH and I'm starting to get interested in doing it as another hobby.

I've been reading up a ton on list of coins to look out for and things like that. However, one thing I keep hearing is about Mint marks. I understand why they're there far as where they were made far as Philadelphia or San Fransisco or Denver. However, I seen one coin listed to look out for was a 1990 (no mint) I'm not sure what they completely mean as when I look at all different dated pennies I see no S or D listed. Am I looking at the wrong spot? Shouldn't it be listed right near the date?

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phillip mint marks used to not be under the date, they weren't on the coin at all. The 1990 no mint mark refers to proof coins missing the S mint mark.

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phillip mint marks used to not be under the date, they weren't on the coin at all. The 1990 no mint mark refers to proof coins missing the S mint mark.

Are the 1990 proofs rare then? I literally found 3 1990's with No marks.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the 1990 proofs rare then? I literally found 3 1990's with No marks.

Are you sure they are proofs? Proofs are mirror like in appearance and have much more shine then a standard made for circulation coin. I imagine what you have found is just 3 regular 1990 Philidelpia minted.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,regular 1990 Philly mint coins don't have mint marks. The only way you're going to find a proof without a mint mark is in a proof set. I would almost guarantee they have all been checked for the error.

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah okay, thanks for the help. Like i said this is all new to me and i'm actually enjoying learning all of this. Seems like it will add some fun into the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread