Picking up someones else order, do or not to do.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. Unless that box was ordered and it sat for weeks, someone had it ordered and will pick it up.

I've had a few banks sell the order they made for me and it really pisses me off.

I had a bank that would sell bags, and I always left the cent bag I knew a guy collected.

I wouldn't do it knowingly, and it's pretty rude of the bank to sell knowing it was for someone else. Mistakes happen though.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get at least one or two of my boxes per week snatched up by someone else.

So, I have no qualms about snatching up someone else's.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a fellow hunter in the area, he would never do that to you, you shouldn't do it to anybody. See if the bank could specially order for you, and if in a week the person does not pick up the boxes, then buy them.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you know it was someone else's order? They told you to wait, for what?, the Brinks to unload? Its on you that you had to go to class, what if you didn't have to go? Would have gotten the halves?

To many variables to give a straight up answer, sooo.... IMO, all is fair in love and war. I would have owned them before leaving the bank.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back and bought 4 rolls. if that box of halves is indeed someone's order, They now know he or she is not alone in the area. I do wish that the person who will be picking up the 46 rolls much silver, because I skunked on the 4 rolls. I too believe it is wrong to buy what someone else has ordered, especially if the order JUST came in...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back and bought 4 rolls. if that box of halves is indeed someone's order, They now know he or she is not alone in the area. I do wish that the person who will be picking up the 46 rolls much silver, because I skunked on the 4 rolls. I too believe it is wrong to buy what someone else has ordered, especially if the order JUST came in...
Good choice. I applaud you for not being a box sniper, as I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if someone else did it to you.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What if the were solid?, or at least a few 90%..then what?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are in NYC, not EBF...since when do NYers play fair?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the bank is willing to sell it to you, I say it's fair game. It's not your responsibility to determine whether someone else ordered it or not.

Some banks keep halves in stock on a regular basis.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the bank ordered just to have a box on hand, then it's fair game. If it's clearly a customer's order and he wasn't given a reasonable amount of time to pick it up, leave it be.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they have such a junk reputation with the bank that they would sell the halves out from under the person ordered for, then buy them up. I have had banks order for me and other customers see them and they tell them NO they were special ordered for a customer.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
My pick up banks would never sell a box of mine. I have gotten boxes from banks that were ordered for other customers but, each time I was told that they were ordered and that time had passed and that the other customer had not come back for them.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SO from the way you guys are saying, i should check back on Thursday. if that 460$ of halves is still there, i have every right to buy it without feeling guilty?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd give them a good week to pick up the remaining rolls, if not, go for it!
SO from the way you guys are saying, i should check back on Thursday. if that 460$ of halves is still there, i have every right to buy it without feeling guilty?

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I've had that happen, I ask for halves, the teller tells me they have a box or two but they were ordered for someone else. I ask how long have you had them and when were they supposed to be picked up? She normally will say a week or so, and I will say, can I give you my phone number and once you decide they are not picking them up, call me and I will be there within the hour. I always get called, but I feel it someone ordered them, they get them, I would not steal the boxes out from under them.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You aren't stealing anything by buying that box. If the bank has halves, I will try to buy them. If they say no, fine. If they say yes, fine. I have ordered boxes and had them picked up by someone else before I got there. I just ordered more boxes and carried on. I have also walked into banks with no order, asked for halves, and bought boxes. You don't know why they are there, just that they are there. Rule #1 Buy them ALL. HH.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep overthinking it, they will be gone by the time you get there.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gone into a bank that I have never been before, asked for halves, and the teller proceeds to tell me that MY order of two boxes arrived. Boom, guess how many boxes I walked out with? Yup, two. This has happened more than one time at different banks.

However, I have also gone to pick up my regular order from my regular pick up banks and have been told that someone else bought them. Sure I wasn't happy, but I smile and know there is always next week.

Like previously stated, Always Buy Them All!!

If there are halves at any given bank, I try my best to leave with as many of them as possible.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions