B o A just told me to "dont bring any more back"

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
B o A just told me to "don't bring any more back"

Made a 200$ dump at a boa, the head teller, told me don't bring any more back.. I've only dumped at that branch three times, all under 200$... Should I call and make a complaint? Oh and skunked on a cube box of halves, starting to really hate cube boxes. As they produce zero oo silver for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you a customer?

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately it sounds like you have been cutoff. It happens.

When it is just a teller, I have ignored them before, but if it's the vault manager, then you might as well concede and find somewhere else. A complaint will most likely be fruitless.

I've been cutoff before and I ignored it until I got my statement and they started charging me $12 a month to process my coins. It sucks but it's part of the hobby.

Keep on rolling! (Hopefully you won't have to reroll your dumps.)

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you've been cut off unfortunately, I would leave this branch alone and just dump at the one a few miles down the street.
I am surprised that you got cut off after dumping under $1,000.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
You can only bring them "back" if they had been there before. Have you ever picked up at that branch before?

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I asked if you are a customer is because you may be able to talk with the vault teller and reach an agreement on how much/how often you can deposit coin. It's worth a try. I wouldn't go complaining to management about because you could go back to that branch in 2 months and there's a new vault manager that would allow it.

HH

Vdubguy

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can only bring them "back" if they had been there before. Have you ever picked up at that branch before?

No,not halves. that branch won't order coins for me. I've only picked up dimes from them once and the same vault teller or teller super, gave a fit about why a person with a personal account needing so much coins. I've only dumped 500$ to date on them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make things clear, I never dump where I pick up.

ceeemeee

Jul 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make things clear, I never dump where I pick up.

Sounds like you have. They don't care if you bring back different coins. All they care is you bought coins from them('pick up') and then returned coins to them ('dump'). Denominations don't matter.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you have. They don't care if you bring back different coins. All they care is you bought coins from them('pick up') and then returned coins to them ('dump'). Denominations don't matter.

Well they made it very clear the first time I picked up from them that they won't be selling me any more coins. Why wouldn't I use them as a dump bank? Any how, I'm not in short supply for dump banks, I still got 4 TD banks within walking distance of each other.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing to complain about. You've gotten cut off from both buying and dumping at that location. Cross it off the list and move on.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well they made it very clear the first time I picked up from them that they won't be selling me any more coins. Why wouldn't I use them as a dump bank? Any how, I'm not in short supply for dump banks, I still got 4 TD banks within walking distance of each other.

Then stick with those banks. You make a fuss and someone will notice. You might get a flag on your account. That manager might tell other managers at a meeting. The bank may just decide you're more hassle than value and close your account (it's happened).

Unless they were doing something improperly (harassing or insulting you) just move on and deal with it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Then stick with those banks. You make a fuss and someone will notice. You might get a flag on your account. That manager might tell other managers at a meeting. The bank may just decide you're more hassle than value and close your account (it's happened).

Unless they were doing something improperly (harassing or insulting you) just move on and deal with it.

IMHO, if this happened to me, I would go to the Branch Manager and tell him or her that I want to close my' Account and why, that I will be filing a complaint with the Bank's corporate office and taking my business to another Bank (it would be good to name the Bank as they hate certain competition with a passion). They should never have asked you why you need all of the coins since you have a Personal Account with them! I sold at Flea Markets occasionally before I started my' small business and even when I had only a Personal Account, I would stop by my Bank for coins and bills to use to make change on sales at the Flea Market. They never asked me why I needed so much but as a courtesy, I would sometimes tell the Teller that was serving me, that I needed them for the Flea Market. Even if you do not sell at a Flea Market, this excuse as well as Yard/Garage Sales are good excuses to get the coins and bills. The main thing to understand, is that you are an account holder and it is their job to serve you with matters concerning your' account and if that includes needing coins and/or bills, they should try to fill your request without question!

Frank

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO, if this happened to me, I would go to the Branch Manager and tell him or her that I want to close my' Account and why, that I will be filing a complaint with the Bank's corporate office and taking my business to another Bank (it would be good to name the Bank as they hate certain competition with a passion). They should never have asked you why you need all of the coins since you have a Personal Account with them! I sold at Flea Markets occasionally before I started my' small business and even when I had only a Personal Account, I would stop by my Bank for coins and bills to use to make change on sales at the Flea Market. They never asked me why I needed so much but as a courtesy, I would sometimes tell the Teller that was serving me, that I needed them for the Flea Market. Even if you do not sell at a Flea Market, this excuse as well as Yard/Garage Sales are good excuses to get the coins and bills. The main thing to understand, is that you are an account holder and it is their job to serve you with matters concerning your' account and if that includes needing coins and/or bills, they should try to fill your request without question!

Frank

Except often there are different accounts for personal and business. The coins, in large quantities, are on hand for businesses who have business accounts and are charged fees that are on a different schedule than personal accounts. The average person might want a roll of quarters or two for laundry, parking, etc. A business, like Target, may require hundreds of dollars of change a week. They are more intensive, have unique needs, and use their accounts far more often than an average customer, so they are charged accordingly.

I've always felt that banks are doing us a favor by handling coins as collectors. We take large amounts and dump large amounts; there's no profitability for them. They will only tolerate it so much and so long. The real advantage we have is personal relationships; the bank itself would laugh at our demands, but the tellers and branch managers are more involved with individual relationships.

Many tellers and managers have been burned by crappy collectors who buy and dump, are rude and demanding, or overtax their system (vaults only have so much room, y'know). They're happier just to say no. You take the good with the bad and move on.

If you make a stink, you might force a policy at the bank. Once you move it from that individual relationship at the branch to a more corporate setting, they may establish a policy that is NOT in your favor that affects more than that one branch.

Basically, work the system and stay under the radar. The system can screw you harder than you can screw them.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Tell them that since the offspring of your great grand children will still be paying the Federal government back for its decision to give them a free 145 billion dollar bail out in 2009, the least they can do is let you dump all your coins, supply you with free pens and coffee and use the restroom from time to time.
You bank at B of A? Are you kidding? why?

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell them that since the offspring of your great grand children will still be paying the Federal government back for its decision to give them a free 145 billion dollar bail out in 2009, the least they can do is let you dump all your coins, supply you with free pens and coffee and use the restroom from time to time.
You bank at B of A? Are you kidding? why?

Lol guys, Losing that branch of BOA is no big deal to me. It was in the manner and tone of the head teller telling me not to bring any more coins back to them, that i had a problem with. I only recently opened the BOA account, and maintain the minimum balance, so i can use their coin ordering service. I mainly bank with USAA, all other banks, TD, BoA, and North field bank are just coin dump/order banks for me.

Last edited:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Should I call and make a complaint ...

... I would go to the Branch Manager and tell him or her that I want to close my' Account and why, that I will be filing a complaint ...

Remember that banks tolerate this hobby because they choose to. Anytime someone makes a stink about a bank's reaction to perceived excessive ordering or dumping, it jeopardizes the hobby for everyone. And, the only opinion on what is "excessive" that counts is the individual bank and specifically, the teller De Jour.

The only thing that you could hope to get from complaining is fleeting, hollow satisfaction of knowing that you possibly stuck it to them. Following that brief satisfaction, you're back at square one.

If you must do something in that situation, tell the teller on the spot that you are dissatisfied and would like to hear from his/her supervisor what would be acceptable use of their coin service. If you are denied audience with the supervisor, take your business elsewhere. But don't forget that the business that you are taking elsewhere is nothing more than an expense, a burden, and an annoyance to the bank.

TKgal

Feb 15, 2015
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bank I buy from- I have several accounts (Business, Personal and kids savings) they have never even acted like it was a hassle as I have shared I am continuing a collection that my boys' grandmother(who since has passed) started for them and we are in search of the elusive coins and that my boys enjoy the monthly coin search weekends. The manager said she and her grandfather used to do the same thing...... she is always pleasant. The first time I ordered, she made a mistake and forgot to take out the default- the next day another order was placed for a box of halves. She was worried she was going to get in trouble and asked me to consider taking this box too. I DID....She was very happy. NOW... for the opposite story- last week the town I live in has an annual event - it was shut down in town.... so I went to the neighboring town branch of the same bank. All I wanted was a box of cents and asked about ordering halves (just to feel it out). They gave me a hassle and told me they would need to charge me $7.50 per box ordered.........even though I am a customer---- WHAT???????? oh yes and I always dump at coinstar or spend my haves. My coinstars have several gift card options that I already use anyway.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions