Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
On a penny box, I usually pull about 10-12 wheaties, about 15% coppers, and maybe a dozen 2009 P&D. Nice to see someone else is saving the 2009's besides me. I still think all of the 2009 coins ($.01,05, & .10) are going to become a collectors rarity, if so I'll be ready.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a penny box, I usually pull about 10-12 wheaties, about 15% coppers, and maybe a dozen 2009 P&D. Nice to see someone else is saving the 2009's besides me. I still think all of the 2009 coins ($.01,05, & .10) are going to become a collectors rarity, if so I'll be ready.

Thanks, Dozer.......haven't hit double digits on Wheats, yet.....and 15% copper is about the same........
Yep, all the 2009s are getting set aside.............even the quarters.............

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Chizzy: speaking of the 2009 dimes, last night I was checking a box, got zero silver, and only 3 (three) of the 2009. I'm finding fewer & fewer as time goes on.

O-dog

Feb 21, 2015
Toronto, ON
Primary Interest:
Other
My averages, for Canadian boxes of pennies:

9 Wheats/box
10 King George VIs/box
35% Copper

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chizzy: speaking of the 2009 dimes, last night I was checking a box, got zero silver, and only 3 (three) of the 2009. I'm finding fewer & fewer as time goes on.

Found one 2009 P in my last box of nickels..........and one 2009 P dime in my last dime search...........
Somethin' is goin' on............:dontknow:

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My averages, for Canadian boxes of pennies:

9 Wheats/box
10 King George VIs/box
35% Copper

I usually find one Canadian keeper..........a 1947 in this last box..............

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found 5 wheaties in last box. Btw, technically they aren't "no mint" coins. They are Philadelphia issues.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found 5 wheaties in last box. Btw, technically they aren't "no mint" coins. They are Philadelphia issues.

Thanks for the input........yep got it on the "mint". It was just easier than typing Philadelphia.........call me a lazy Pennsylvanian..........:laughing7:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
20% copper, give or take, with a few wheaties per box. Over the last four boxes, I've also picked up two King Georges, one IH, and a number of dimes. Oldest wheatie was 1915. Those boxes were uncommonly good. I'd never seen KG's or IH's before this. This is in spite of someone dumping on the particular bank that these came from, as I'm finding two different marks on about a quarter of the rolls.

What's the story with 2009 cents? I've been throwing them out with the other zincolns. Is there a compelling reason to hang on to them?

I've noticed a ton of "S" marks from the sixties and seventies as well. The nusmi sites don't seem to place much stock in them, so they've been bundled up as generic copper. Any reason to set them aside?

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the story with 2009 cents? I've been throwing them out with the other zincolns. Is there a compelling reason to hang on to them?

I've noticed a ton of "S" marks from the sixties and seventies as well. The nusmi sites don't seem to place much stock in them, so they've been bundled up as generic copper. Any reason to set them aside?

Dave, I've found more Wheats than 2009 cents........there must be a reason for their scarcity among other circulated pennies. Perhaps it's just speculation by other collectors. If you look at mail order retail ads, some of them are offering free sets of 2009 cents as an incentive to purchase other coins. Still haven't figured out why the 2009 nickels and dimes are scarce.........
As for the "S" pennies and nickels, they were the last circulated coins struck by the SF mint...........

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 4 or 5 years ago I was averaging 3-4 wheats per box and less than 12% copper. I haven't searched any since then.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Dave, I've found more Wheats than 2009 cents........there must be a reason for their scarcity among other circulated pennies. Perhaps it's just speculation by other collectors. If you look at mail order retail ads, some of them are offering free sets of 2009 cents as an incentive to purchase other coins. Still haven't figured out why the 2009 nickels and dimes are scarce.........
As for the "S" pennies and nickels, they were the last circulated coins struck by the SF mint...........

Interesting. I know that I saw some 2009's in the last few boxes, but I'm not sure that I want to go through the zincolns to find them again. As I didn't count them, I can't compare them with the wheats, but I'd guess that I found more 2009's than 1958 and earlier. According to the Mint's production figures, 2009 was actually a very light year for pennies, but "light" is relative - they still pumped out around two billion of the things. I suppose that it's simple enough to set them aside, as they are easily spotted.

The "S" pennies are kind of cool, but if people ain't buying, I don't see the point in trying to sell. If they're not key or semi key dates, they're just copper to me.

SpeedbumpNV

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will usually pull a little over 300 copper (~12%) per box with 5-10 wheats and 1-2 copper Canadians. I'll get a dime every so often too, instant $0.09 profit! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread