2005 Jefferson Buffalo Nickel Detached Leg?

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking through nickels for awhile now and think I might have finally stumbled among a detached leg 2005 P jefferson nickel. I am not 100% sure but it looks pretty close to some of the pictures online. What do you guys think?

I know they are not worth much if anything

detached leg 2.jpg detached leg.jpg

Upvote 0

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if the pictures are of two different coins but the bottom picture looks more promising than the top one.

OP
OP
S

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if the pictures are of two different coins but the bottom picture looks more promising than the top one.

It's a pics of the same coin. I know they're not the greatest but best I could do with my phone and loupe

thatoneCRH

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately I don't think it is, I believe the detachment needs to be more pronounced, but if it is, then I've let quite a few go. lol

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately I don't think it is, I believe the detachment needs to be more pronounced, but if it is, then I've let quite a few go. lol

I disagree! I believe that the O.P.'s coin is the same as the now-called "Detached (Buffalo's) Leg" Variety but is just a much earlier Die Stage than most of the one's seen. The Error is due to excessive Die Polishing and due to the minimal separation on the O.P.'s coin, it is doubtful that it would fetch any significant premium. However, it is a nice Error coin find and congrats to the O.P. for finding it!

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread