Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have read many posts about "Coinstar rejects" and "cleaning out the chute".
I've never even seen a Coinstar machine, let alone use one. But, after looking, I found that there are 3 such machines in my area at local businesses (none are banks).
How do all of you go about searching the machines? Do you have an arrangement with the business where they are located? Do you just go in and help yourselves? Please........a little clarification would be most appreciated...........

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You dont actually get to Go and open the machine and check every nook and cranny. You just walk up to the machine and check the bin of the reject slot. When people say "cleaning out the chute", it means they cleaned it out of rejected coins.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK.......now I get it........thanks............

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my local grocery stores and wallmarts have coinstars. I just check the reject slot every time I am shopping at one. I always check around the outside of the machine on the ledges. I have found many coins just laying on the edges. Most of the times I find crusty pennies or foreign coins...I did get lucky and find a silver dime once and a silver quarter another occasion.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then there is the "reject-walk of shame" this occurs when you make an obvious bee-line to the coinstar, with no other intention of checking the chute, seeing it is void of goodies, and doing an about face, away from said machine. I always get the feeling that others see me scrounging....but heck, it hasn't stopped me yet!:laughing7:

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if you made a card and stuck it on the machine saying that you would pay for any rejected claims or looking to buy rejected coins if people would call? I know the person that owns the machines gonna throw the cart away however they probably don't check them every single day so setting them on the machine might not be a bad idea! Even if you only get one or two people to call a month who cares it's cheap silver who knows what else I might have? I've bought some silver Half dollars from a coin machine at Walmart. I heard them as they came out while I was standing in line. I made my son pay for the stuff while I went to talk to the lady about her silver half-dollars she had. She was smart though she gave them to her son and said make him an offer! so I paid him six dollars for two of them.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if you made a card and stuck it on the machine saying that you would pay for any rejected claims or looking to buy rejected coins if people would call? I know the person that owns the machines gonna throw the cart away however they probably don't check them every single day so setting them on the machine might not be a bad idea! Even if you only get one or two people to call a month who cares it's cheap silver who knows what else I might have? I've bought some silver Half dollars from a coin machine at Walmart. I heard them as they came out while I was standing in line. I made my son pay for the stuff while I went to talk to the lady about her silver half-dollars she had. She was smart though she gave them to her son and said make him an offer! so I paid him six dollars for two of them.

Not a bad idea, but you will get tons of calls of people just trying to sell you their crusty lincoln cents too. Or if somebody has foreign coins too. I guess you could ask them over the phone what they have and the years of the coins. That way you know they are silver or not. I know if I saw the card or sign on the machine I would throw it away. I am sure that there are plenty of people who like to look through coinstars and know they reject silver so you would have to worry about all of those people too. I bet the card wouldn't last for more then a few hours. It would be a fun experiment though to see how long it lasts and if it works out for you.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a good example of the b. card.
"GOT REJECTED COINS?"
"WE BUY PRE-1964 COINS"
"CALL 123-342-1234"

YOu can use http://www.vistaprint.com/ to make it stand out, put some Silver coins on the design, so it catches ones eye..

you can take it from there once they call...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had this hair-brained idea going on for a few months, but cant seem to get the guts to do it...

How about if say someone were to cut a piece of thin, green rubber foam, maybe 3"x 4" in size, and adhere it to the base of the reject chute. The foam would muffle the sound of rejected coins clinking into the tray....

Would it be wrong to do this? IMO, I think not... dying to try it, I know it would work.... again, don't have the testicular fortitude to actually do it...

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grocery store Coinstars in my area never seem to produce, but that Wal-mart one... man, does she ever produce!

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a 56 quarter and 64 and 48 dime out of grocery store coinstar today.

OK.....OK........I'll just pretend I'm checking the coin slot on an old pay phone..............lol:laughing7:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I used to get butt loads of Canadain coins ---out of my local coinstar machine at the food store here in florida (there are several long haul truckers that drive to and from Canada locally and dump their change at the local food store since the canadain coins are useless they leave em) ......I grabbed em up and .saved em till I got 100 bucks Canadain and then found coin store in Canada that sold us silver coins( and for the price of mailing the coins to the store in Canada ) --I go back us silver coins shipped to me ..a couple f which I sold to recover the shipping cost of the Canada coins to the coin store -- bottom line --free us silver in exchange for Canada coinstar rejects ...:thumbsup:

StBarbara

Apr 7, 2015
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cameras, cameras everywhere. If you think you'd have a hard time explaining what you're doing to the folks who monitor the security cameras, you might want to skip that particular idea ... Just sayin' :angel10:

I have had this hair-brained idea going on for a few months, but cant seem to get the guts to do it...

How about if say someone were to cut a piece of thin, green rubber foam, maybe 3"x 4" in size, and adhere it to the base of the reject chute. The foam would muffle the sound of rejected coins clinking into the tray....

Would it be wrong to do this? IMO, I think not... dying to try it, I know it would work.... again, don't have the testicular fortitude to actually do it...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I used to use a nut recovery tool to fish thru the slots in the dump tray and get the gold and diamond earrings that got dumped in with the coins and fell thru the holes .... I would block folks view from behind using my body and had the tool up my sleeve --- I would snake it thru and hit the plunger grab em up and zip --lots of gold post and ball earrings and diamond earrings get lost in them like that .

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I don't used coin star, but my dump banks' coin counter is a great source of Canadian and other foreign coins.
I probably net Can $50-75/year

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then there is the "reject-walk of shame" this occurs when you make an obvious bee-line to the coinstar, with no other intention of checking the chute, seeing it is void of goodies, and doing an about face, away from said machine. I always get the feeling that others see me scrounging....but heck, it hasn't stopped me yet!:laughing7:

Reminds me of the phone booths back in the day, I could always find quarters there!! Didn't care who saw me, neither, empty handed or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions