Bank + Dime questions

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've finished my first CRH haul and I have a few questions about banks. I talked to my bank(kinecta federal credit union) and they were very nice after I explained that I collect old coins and asked what the best method for returning them so there is less hassle for them. The teller told me that this bank location personally doesn't have coin boxes in storage but they can order them, and that if I return them at this location she would charge me $0.25 per roll. She also said that the kinecta down the road a few miles has a coin counter machine and that would be free so it would be a better idea to return them there. She wrote my number down for the manager to call me the next day to order the coin boxes but he never called and i moved on to bank of america to buy them.

So is it a good idea to go further down the road and use my bank to deposit my coins at the coin counter machine at the further kinecta location, and maybe order my coins through the kinecta location closer to me?

My second question is that I finished my dimes(from bank of america) and out of $100 worth I got 7 mercs and 11 rosie silvers. Is this normal or did I get crazy lucky? Should I go back to this location and get the rest of their rolls? These rolls were not in a box but the ones she had on hand and apparently there was more.

My last question is that I found a whole lot of 1965 to 1980 dimes, are there key ones to look for in this particular period other than 1970 proofs without s mint? Are they even really worth keeping? I found so many that unless they hold some sort of premium I don't see a point is keeping them.

Y9TAzqNl.jpg

XOR4ELkl.jpg

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT pick up and dump from the same branch. It frustrates people and you'll get cut off in the end. Many recommend not using the same bank, which I somewhat agree with. You end up searching your own coins.

The dimes were really lucky- get more from them.

You may be better off picking one supplier and one dump (BOA vs Kinecta)

There's really no point in keeping the other ones. The chance of finding a no-s proof from that time period in circulation is very very rare. You would have better luck finding a 1982 no mint mark.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! I will go back maybe tomorrow or so and pick up more dimes.

Also I'm just curious, how would the same bank branch a few miles down the road even know I was picking up coins from their other location? The further one would only see me there depositing coins, and the closer one would only see me picking up coins? Not that I would do this frequently at all, but just curious, how would they even know unless they for some reason decided to look into it? I live in southern california in the south bay, very very busy city and busy banks, ofc if I go before 3pm it isn't bad at all. I feel like not any one person would care enough to look into what I'm doing or do anything other than process my request? I could be wrong, time will tell.

The teller at my bank at the closer location is very nice. I've only been there a few times but she asks if I found anything and goes the effort to ask other tellers if they have rolls and I don't even ask her to do that. Which is very thoughtful.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your fine dumping your coins down the street. Only people that search huge volumes need to worry about where they dump their coins. I think you have a great CRH situation. You have a good pick up bank..and a dump bank down the road a few miles with a coin counter. I have to re roll all my coins as non of the banks by me have coin counters.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! I will go back maybe tomorrow or so and pick up more dimes.

Also I'm just curious, how would the same bank branch a few miles down the road even know I was picking up coins from their other location? The further one would only see me there depositing coins, and the closer one would only see me picking up coins? Not that I would do this frequently at all, but just curious, how would they even know unless they for some reason decided to look into it? I live in southern california in the south bay, very very busy city and busy banks, ofc if I go before 3pm it isn't bad at all. I feel like not any one person would care enough to look into what I'm doing or do anything other than process my request? I could be wrong, time will tell.

The teller at my bank at the closer location is very nice. I've only been there a few times but she asks if I found anything and goes the effort to ask other tellers if they have rolls and I don't even ask her to do that. Which is very thoughtful.

They wouldn't, unless staff move around, which is likely, I've had it happen. "Hey, aren't you the guy who...".

What I mean is don't pick up and dump at the same single location. Do not buy coins and bring them back when you've searched through them. It's bad CRH karma.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your fine dumping your coins down the street. Only people that search huge volumes need to worry about where they dump their coins. I think you have a great CRH situation. You have a good pick up bank..and a dump bank down the road a few miles with a coin counter. I have to re roll all my coins as non of the banks by me have coin counters.

Bummer :( I saved all my rolls just in case. There are so many banks around here it's ridiculous. I never paid attention until now, but just from bank of america which is 1 mile away and my bank which is half a mile, there are at least 3 other banks.. Then exactly a mile in the other direction of my house, is another bank of america and at least 3 banks on the way.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They wouldn't, unless staff move around, which is likely, I've had it happen. "Hey, aren't you the guy who...".

What I mean is don't pick up and dump at the same single location. Do not buy coins and bring them back when you've searched through them. It's bad CRH karma.

Oh yeah definitely! I would feel wayyyy too guilty doing that. in fact it sounds just wrong, like you are screwing them over.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
If they do find out, you could be cut off very quickly. Too many of us have found out the hard way just how much it can be frowned upon, no matter what one manager may have said. I recommend using different banks for picking up and dumping.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got extremely lucky on those dimes wow. Nice job oh and btw never dump and pick up at the same bank... have some designated dump banks. For example all of my dump banks are banks who have asked me if im looking for silver and tell me ill find none.... so thats where i take mine lol

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got extremely lucky on those dimes wow. Nice job oh and btw never dump and pick up at the same bank... have some designated dump banks. For example all of my dump banks are banks who have asked me if im looking for silver and tell me ill find none.... so thats where i take mine lol

The only issue is I don't really want to open another bank account if I don't have to. Especially with banks like Bank of America charging per month. Hopefully my bank is okay with me using their coin counting machine.

If they do find out, you could be cut off very quickly. Too many of us have found out the hard way just how much it can be frowned upon, no matter what one manager may have said. I recommend using different banks for picking up and dumping.

Indeed, I think I will only dump at my bank and not pickup at all there. BOA seems to have good coins in my area, I'll pick up from there and dump at my bank.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Most long term dime hunters report yields of 1-2 silver dimes per $250 searched, so 18 silver dimes from $100 is AMAZING!

There isn't much post 1964 that is worth keeping with dimes.
1) silver proofs 1992S-present (very uncommon but easy to spot, thick silver rim)
2) error coins (uncommon, and require face checking to spot)
3) CuNi proofs 1968-present (not worth more than face unless still in PF-65 condition)
4) I have a collection of business strike CuNi dimes 1965-present. (not worth more than face)

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Most long term dime hunters report yields of 1-2 silver dimes per $250 searched, so 18 silver dimes from $100 is AMAZING!

1) silver proofs 1992S-present (very uncommon but easy to spot, thick silver rim)
3) CuNi proofs 1968-present (not worth more than face unless still in PF-65 condition)
4) I have a collection of business strike CuNi dimes 1965-present. (not worth more than face)

Also I would look for the 1996-W dime and with the new low mintage 2015 March of Dimes set, there are two unique silver dimes in the set that could potentially end up in circulation in 10-20 years, ha.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, that's amazing! Someone must of had their collection turned in? I only got $100 and almost each roll had 1-4 silver in them. I'm going back in a bit to get more.

Also I would look for the 1996-W dime and with the new low mintage 2015 March of Dimes set, there are two unique silver dimes in the set that could potentially end up in circulation in 10-20 years, ha.

Thanks I will keep an eye out. :)

Also I was wondering the best way of asking the tellers after reading some threads here. As far as I know I should first ask if any old coins have past through, then if there are any half dollars or dollar coins, and take them all. Then I will ask for dimes. The dime rolls that produced like crazy last time were rolls that looked rolled from a coin machine with the official papers, but they were not in a box, so maybe I will ask for loose dime rolls laying around.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I went to the same bank today and bought $300 in dimes, no silvers.. Maybe I should of gone to the same register as last time?

I did find a Saint Christopher necklace piece inside one roll. It definitely says sterling on the back, but the word above it I am not sure, my best guess is regina, so "REGINA STERLING"..??
It is exactly the size of a dime.
8wXWHDz.jpg

zW0xeNU.jpg

L97egxG.jpg

R1LPeiV.jpg

It looks like one of these: http://worn-over-time.com/st-christophers/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$300!?
That's nuts. Id be trying to bend it back out and put it on eBay

Yeah I'm a bit confused.. If it is from the 50's then I guess it's worth good amount? Do you think it's sterling silver? What about that word above the "STERLING"?
My girlfriend and I are almost certain it says "REGINA", but why would it say that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread