First time hunting

bernie1881

Apr 30, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the bank and picked up a a box of dimes a box of nickels and two boxes of pennies I pulled one silver out of the dimes a handfull of pre 60 nickels about a dozen wheats from the first box and about 25% of the rest where copper and then I open the second box of pennies and there all 2015 I didn't even bother unwrapping them

Thanks for reading,
Chris

Upvote 0

JimVT36

Jan 19, 2014
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Chris, The pennies will get you from time to time. I work for a company that rolls and boxes coins for banks. If we receive an order from the federal reserve we get $3,000 in a bag all freshly minted. That yields 120 boxes. If we get mixed coins from banks to be counted, sorted and rolled you get the mixed. Given "a lot" of pennies are removed for the metal these days we are getting more and more Fed. ballistic bags ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431302616.214651.jpg

Happy hunting..

Regards from Vermont
www.canadiancoinexchange.com

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Chris,
Sometimes a bank will let you get a "preview" before taking the box.........the boxes I get have a hole in the cardboard over each roll............it gives a good indication of what may be in there................

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
The $25 Cent cardboard 'Bricks' used to have 50 holes so that you could verify that it held the right number of rolls, but they also helped us to see if the coins were a good mix or all bright-shinny new. Those holes are going away so now I always ask the bank teller if I open a corner of the box to see if there is a mix of old/new cents. And if not, will they take this box back and let me try another?

If they say no, find another bank. Good Luck!

OP
OP
B

bernie1881

Apr 30, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys I'll be heading to the bank again tomorrow probably going to grab the same boxes I got last time and order a box of halfs

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys I'll be heading to the bank again tomorrow probably going to grab the same boxes I got last time and order a box of halfs

You can wear out your welcome very quickly. Just remember that the bank has to pay to get those boxes. Those rolls of coins are primarily intended for their business customers who pay a fee, but they are giving them to you for free. If you show up too often, I can all but guarantee you'll either be hit with a fee for the boxes or just simply refused service. How often equals "too often" varies from bank to bank, but I'd say, on average, once per week is pushing it. Just use some common sense and you stand a much better chance of success. Talk to the head teller/vault teller. They might be willing to order extra boxes just for you.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can wear out your welcome very quickly. Just remember that the bank has to pay to get those boxes. Those rolls of coins are primarily intended for their business customers who pay a fee, but they are giving them to you for free. If you show up too often, I can all but guarantee you'll either be hit with a fee for the boxes or just simply refused service. How often equals "too often" varies from bank to bank, but I'd say, on average, once per week is pushing it. Just use some common sense and you stand a much better chance of success. Talk to the head teller/vault teller. They might be willing to order extra boxes just for you.

Great advice ArkieBassMan- dont wear out your welcome

OP
OP
B

bernie1881

Apr 30, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I figured that I've already started going to more than one bank there are a lot of BofAs around me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread