All Treasure Hunting

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youl never know!

Funny thing is I don't even know... How much there really is here either. Some here and there. Under the couch. In the sock drawer, who knows! It's like Christmas every time I clean something I find something I forgot about.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If SHTF, i doubt the banks will open and allow you to withdraw your silver...

I agree completely. However, of all the possible bad things that could happen, I decided that fire or theft was MUCH more likely than total economic collapse overnight. Therefore my goodies went into safety deposit boxes.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bury some under the porch of your neighbors house at night,, or their driveway slab. They will never notice!

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Back in my heavy drinking days (early 80's) I was buying 1 oz gold panda's paying around $325.00 ea. There was a corner of carpet in my closet that was loose and I was stashing them there. We moved and I forgot about them. About 3 months later I remembered and went back to the house and explained to the people living there that I had left something behind and could I please retrieve it. Fortunately that let me in and I retrieved my 12 gold panda's from the closet.
Been sober now for 23 years.
Moral of story: remember where you stash your stack.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you all have crap loads of silver? Like the world is ending silver piles? I can't imagine filling a sandwich bag let alone a canvas bag... I have a decent amount I thought. Like $100 face.

I used to have a nice stack - about $700 face of 40s and $100 face in 90s. Sold pretty much all of it when silver was in the high 20s. Glad I did, cuz it hasn't even hit $20 in a while. I watched it go from $35 to $27 and jumped ship. If I'd sold at $35, I coulda bought both the 1895S AND 1885CC silver dollars I want for my collection with the difference. Now I don't hold on to it any more. It's cool to look at big stack, but I'm afraid it could go back to the $4/ounce I remember in high school, back in the day when we would throw back the 40s cuz they were unsellable!

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I store most of my silver coins in plastic tubes, in a safe deposit box.

I use 2x2 flips for my collection, stored in binder with plastic pages.

Avoid storing coins in paper wrappers, the acid in the paper with darken the coins.

Last edited:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a nice stack - about $700 face of 40s and $100 face in 90s. Sold pretty much all of it when silver was in the high 20s. Glad I did, cuz it hasn't even hit $20 in a while. I watched it go from $35 to $27 and jumped ship. If I'd sold at $35, I coulda bought both the 1895S AND 1885CC silver dollars I want for my collection with the difference. Now I don't hold on to it any more. It's cool to look at big stack, but I'm afraid it could go back to the $4/ounce I remember in high school, back in the day when we would throw back the 40s cuz they were unsellable!

Good for you. In my first go around, I found it impossible to pull the trigger, even when I "knew" I should. When I started silver was ~$17 (which at the time seemed ridiculously high) and climbing. I said (not fully expecting it to happen) that if the day came that $100 face value in 40%ers could net me $1000, I'd very happily sell at least some of my stash. Well, that day came pretty quickly, and I greedily decided it wasn't enough. I regretfully even passed when I could've gotten $1200 for $100 ($6 each) in 40%ers. I passed at many chances to get $4 per on the way back down - which for some reason felt like I'd be taking a loss if I sold. Greed causes irrational decision making. Lesson learned. If I get another chance in my lifetime to get $5+ each for 40%ers, I won't miss the opportunity.

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree completely. However, of all the possible bad things that could happen, I decided that fire or theft was MUCH more likely than total economic collapse overnight.

On this we agree. I felt that the risk of being destroyed or stolen while stored at home, even in a safe, was higher than sudden complete collapse of the economy. Safe deposit box for me!

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
Gosh, I've never really thought about it. Considering I have two Rosies that I MD'd, two that I bought for my little girl because she wanted to get into CRH but was getting bummed out by all the skunks, and the one single Rosie that we've pulled from a coin roll...

I keep them in an old Rx bottle on top of the fridge.

Don't be jealous of my stack, bro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread