May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Opened a nickel box today and immediately spotted something unusual - a Twenty Pence coin at the end of a roll. It's octagonal and slightly larger than a nickel, too.

DSC_1282.JPG DSC_1286.JPG

An end-of-roll Ben Franklin is called a Bender
A Mercury Dime ender = Mender
A Walker ender = Wender

What do you call this find... a Twender?

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd probably call it a crappy foreign coin in my roll of nickels. :D

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd probably call it a crappy foreign coin in my roll of nickels. :D

I look at it this way...

That 20-pence piece is worth $.32 USD. That's 27 cents more than what should have been in that roll. :thumbsup:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at it this way...

That 20-pence piece is worth $.32 USD. That's 27 cents more than what should have been in that roll. :thumbsup:

Unless you travel to England and spend it, you won't get even $0.10 for it here. Still, you made out alright.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it's trash. No nickname for trash.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at it this way...

I look at it this way: Its a coin from a country which I'll likely never visit to use or have enough coins from to bother with somehow getting it converted to USD. Therefore, its worthless.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saved all my pounds and pence and spent them last summer in England. In fact, I bought a bunch at coin shows in dealer bins just for that purpose and made out pretty well. London is my favorite place to visit. If any of you get a chance to go there, do it. Awesome! Don't forget to go to Warner Bros studio to see the Harry Potter stuff.

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I saved all my pounds and pence and spent them last summer in England. In fact, I bought a bunch at coin shows in dealer bins just for that purpose and made out pretty well. London is my favorite place to visit. If any of you get a chance to go there, do it. Awesome! Don't forget to go to Warner Bros studio to see the Harry Potter stuff.

England is on my bucket list. I already have quite a few British coins from bank reject chutes, including a Pound coin. Thanks for the tip on the dealer bins!

And if I can't get over there there's always AMEX Travel Centers that'll convert foreign to US. Free foreign minus AMEX's vig still leaves me with a nice profit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread