Hand Rolled vs. Machine Rolled

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Anyone have any feel for which is better hand rolled rolls or machine rolled rolls to search for older nickels, dimes and quarters? I have a suspicion hand rolled might be slightly better as the coins have not been through an automatic coin counter which might toss out silver coins and might have been kept in someon's coin jar for awhile. Something in me also pictures an older person who hoarded coins for years and didn't know what they had created the rolls. This might be totally unfounded though.

$100 of hand rolled dimes I got at lunch didn't turn up anything, but I'm sure that wasn't a large enough sample.

-Brian

Upvote 0

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
My gut tells me that machine wrapped is better and easier over the long run but I never turn down old wrappers. You know the ones that are a solid color either red, blue, green or orange. I really like them when they are taped at the ends with yellowed tape.

65GT350

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
65gt350 said:
......I really like them when they are taped at the ends with yellowed tape.

Is it politically correct to tell the tellers that you only want coin rolls that were brought in by little old ladies with walkers? ;D

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
65gt350 said:
......I really like them when they are taped at the ends with yellowed tape.

Is it politically correct to tell the tellers that you only want coin rolls that were brought in by little old ladies with walkers? ;D

Unfortunately I think most of the tellers (or at least one per bank) have picked up the hint on that one already and snatched the goods for themselves when they are that obvious..... :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread