Would you keep these?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the penny collectors would y'all keep these? Also do you guys keep all S mint marks on pennies? image.jpg

Upvote 0

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go through these types of rolls and take out anything BU, AU and, yes, all the S mints...............

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely look for AU/BU and yep keep the S unless they are really bad

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the '69 S for dbl dies - very rare & very $valuable.
Other than that, I'd sell them as copper cents.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are unopened, crimped machine wrapped rolls, keep them and don't open them.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are unopened, crimped machine wrapped rolls, keep them and don't open them.
Ok so they are crimped machine wrapped but the thing is they're not uncirculated. I opened part of one and the coins looked like they had been heavily used so what does that mean? So I dot think they are

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so they are crimped machine wrapped but the thing is they're not uncirculated. I opened part of one and the coins looked like they had been heavily used so what does that mean? So I dot think they are

Are they all of the same year and mint mark that is written on the rolls?

It could be tarnish, but it sounds like someone may have put together a solid date and mint mark roll from circulation, just like we would do now if we wanted a roll of 1968 d cents.

Can you take a picture of the cents from the opened up roll? That would definitely tell us if the coins have seen the light of day more than once.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , why wouldn't you ? They're all copper - they aren't going down in value , and you aren't tying up any funds to hold them .

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they all of the same year and mint mark that is written on the rolls?

It could be tarnish, but it sounds like someone may have put together a solid date and mint mark roll from circulation, just like we would do now if we wanted a roll of 1968 d cents.

Can you take a picture of the cents from the opened up roll? That would definitely tell us if the coins have seen the light of day more than once.
No pictures right now but I did open up the 69s and most were very dark no luster at all except for 3 maybe au ones that's all. But most have absolutely no scratches but no luster? Could this happen in a roll? I think they may have been gone through already but I'm not sure because the roll was crimped perfectly like mwr

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
No pictures right now but I did open up the 69s and most were very dark no luster at all except for 3 maybe au ones that's all. But most have absolutely no scratches but no luster? Could this happen in a roll? I think they may have been gone through already but I'm not sure because the roll was crimped perfectly like mwr

As stated before, inspect all of the 1969-S Lincoln Cents for the elusive Doubled Die Obverse Variety as they are very valuable. Even BU Red coins can change colors in paper rolls. I have seen them tone to Red/Brown, Brown or to some amazing colors. The paper in the rollers eventually begins to decompose giving off gases that can change the colors/toning of the coins. Where and how they are stored can also effect the color and toning due to contaminants and/or from being stored in the heat.

Frank

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unopened, uncirculated rolls can have no scratches and no luster, it just depends on the condition the coins were kept in, they were likely uncirculated still.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread