new to CRH

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to it as I just got into doing this about 2 months ago. I started it just for the amusement and it gave me something to do. Though sitting back curious on what people do with the coins they find.

Do you guys happen to get them graded and sell them? Is there a place that buys silver coins and such? Or what do you all do with all the coins you find and keep?

Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never sold a single silver coin I have found. Just hanging on the them for a rainy day, or a trip to Europe. Plus, I wouldn't sell now anyway with the price of silver where it is.

HH

Vdubguy

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I try to keep most of what I find but have sold some when I needed to. When the price was high, I found a local place that payed me 4.50 for a 40% when other places were offering 3.00. I added a few rolls of 90% and some 10 oz bars to sweeten the pot as some seem to frown about 40%ers.
I also keep a book on each different coin and try to make up sets from CRH. Never sent anything out to be graded, just happy to be adding silver at FV.
The best thing is to enjoy what you are doing and try to get Tellers to want to help you, without talking too much. I try to never say silver to anyone. GL and HH

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I have no problem at the banks or anything. I was just curious I have fun going through the coins and seeing what I find. However, I was just curious if there are places out there that do purchase the coins for the silver and copper etc.

I guess also what it comes down to is I have tons of fun going through and finding the coins but never understood why people throw them to the side and keep them for years unless there being graded etc. For example I had a uncle that collected nothing but wheat pennies and he had I would say at least 100 bucks in wheat pennies if not more. Yes you read that correctly! Anyways after keeping them for the past 20 years he turned around and sold them and basically made no profit but a few bucks. So that is why I am asking these things as a curiosity question that just came to thought.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never have sold any finds.........been stashing coins for decades and just recently began to dig 'em out and organize. Aside from putting together my own collection in Dansco books, I've been putting together Whitman/Harris sets for our 5 grand children.........that is also how I explain my roll and box purchases to the many banks and tellers I speak with...............
When they ask if I hunt for Wheats or silver, I simply tell them that they are a "bonus".........and then I tell them of the more contemporary dates I need to fill the grandkids books............

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not at all. I have read that entire post among actually replies in there the past month and that post basically only explains what to look for and what to keep and coin grades. To which there is no answer to my question in there. Read this reply I made

Oh I have no problem at the banks or anything. I was just curious I have fun going through the coins and seeing what I find. However, I was just curious if there are places out there that do purchase the coins for the silver and copper etc.

I guess also what it comes down to is I have tons of fun going through and finding the coins but never understood why people throw them to the side and keep them for years unless there being graded etc. For example I had a uncle that collected nothing but wheat pennies and he had I would say at least 100 bucks in wheat pennies if not more. Yes you read that correctly! Anyways after keeping them for the past 20 years he turned around and sold them and basically made no profit but a few bucks. So that is why I am asking these things as a curiosity question that just came to thought.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend that owns a coin-prospecting shop. He pays me 3 cent apiece and 90% on silver and gold.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok wow i cant believe your uncle didnt make much money selling the wheat backs- normally they go between .3-.5 each and if lower dates (teens-20) they can go for .6-.9 a piece- so he got ripped imo
As for silver there are plenty of places thatll buy but you have to do some research and find the best place to sell- and why do people just keep them and dont grade them? Well it cost quite a bit to get a coin graded so unless the coun has extreme value its not really cost effective to get an avg silver coin graded- but most people save their silver in hopes of the price of silver increasing and then being able to sell it off- or even when/if the economy dump so bad that silver/gold are used regularly in nornal day bartering/purchasing

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok wow i cant believe your uncle didnt make much money selling the wheat backs- normally they go between .3-.5 each and if lower dates (teens-20) they can go for .6-.9 a piece- so he got ripped imo
As for silver there are plenty of places thatll buy but you have to do some research and find the best place to sell- and why do people just keep them and dont grade them? Well it cost quite a bit to get a coin graded so unless the coun has extreme value its not really cost effective to get an avg silver coin graded- but most people save their silver in hopes of the price of silver increasing and then being able to sell it off- or even when/if the economy dump so bad that silver/gold are used regularly in nornal day bartering/purchasing

Thank you this was the kind of answering I was looking for :thumbsup:

Yeah I asked my uncle recently when I had gotten into it and he told me after 20 years of saving them as he didn't do CRH he only would save the ones he found during change from spending cash ya know. Anyways he sold them all and he said he made like 10 bucks profit. I never asked honestly how much he had all together, but from the looks of the stash he had a few years ago that I had seen It had to be at the least of $100.00 worth.

So also I take it as silver coins are then the most wanted coins to keep but all others are just kept for fun and collections? Again Thanks for explaining and helping!

Graciegirl

Jun 5, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the club. I've been at this for a little over a year. I've learned a lot (a little at a time). The Treasurenet family is a phenomenal source of information on any topic you can think of. Happy hunting.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Other than selling a few magician's coins and error coins at my local coin club, I haven't sold any of my finds. I plan to hold on to the silver until prices go back up, or until I retire.

...I was just curious if there are places out there that do purchase the coins for the silver and copper etc.

Silver, yes. Copper, no. Let us know if you find a buyer for copper please!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you this was the kind of answering I was looking for :thumbsup

So also I take it as silver coins are then the most wanted coins to keep but all others are just kept for fun and collections? Again Thanks for explaining and helping!

There are many many die varieties and errors to look for but it takes time and patience to learn them- they can be more valuable that just plain silver but they are tougher to search for as silver is pretty to just rim/sound search-
If youre interested in searching for those then id suggest getting yourself the cherry pickers guides(both volumes 1 & 2)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found thousands of silver coins in the past, none of them worthy of being professionally graded, as the cost usually exceeds the coin's collector value.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I started saving coins around the early 60's, filling folders, keeping most of the odd type of coins. Back then nearly everything was silver. If I had only known back then, but who could of saved every coin that came across the counter. Stopped collecting around 1987 when my dad passed away,but just recently in 2011 when silver hit its all-time high of $48/oz that I started CRH again. But this time it's just to pass my retirement time away, and maybe for small investment returns. Anyhow, it's a fun hobby whatever way you look at it. Enjoy & HH (happy hunting).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread