Finally.........

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally.........5 months and 13 boxes later, I find a 1951D silver dime. I started dime coin roll hunting back in October(2014). By December, I'd found 8 silver dimes in the first 12 boxes. Then a massive cold streak leading up to today. As you can see, I'm a part-time hunter and have gone long periods not doing any dime hunting(switched to quarters or halves). Feedback?

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thats not really a good amount to tell how your area is- ive had skunk streaks of 10-15 at a time with dimes and thats in 1-2weeks-
I wouldnt change to qtrs they are 10× harder than dimes and halves-
You could try halves but id say 90% of the country dimes produce better results-

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried CWR dimes? I do MUCH better with them than boxes in my area. Like 2x+ more silver in CWRs. And you can just reroll as you search in the rolls they came in and not worry about being shorted by counting machines.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you tried CWR dimes? I do MUCH better with them than boxes in my area. Like 2x+ more silver in CWRs. And you can just reroll as you search in the rolls they came in and not worry about being shorted by counting machines.

Yeah, early on in my career I found one silver dime with cwr's. Other than that, not much luck. I've actually been shorted more on cwr's than machine rolled. Honestly I don't count cwr's or machine rolled--for me it's a waste of time.. I just notice in cwr's that a customer will put pennies and nickels in quarter rolls. Although I have had extras put in cwr--quarters. If that's the case then I keep the extra ones, naturally, and use them to buy silver dimes from the local coin ship. HH everyone.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eventually you just have to throw in the towel IMO. I tried to make dimes work. I wanted to make dimes work, but it just didn't happen. Something like 55 skunks out of 60 boxes. CWRs were just as bad.

Why not try quarters? It can't be much worse.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eventually you just have to throw in the towel IMO. I tried to make dimes work. I wanted to make dimes work, but it just didn't happen. Something like 55 skunks out of 60 boxes. CWRs were just as bad.

When i first started dimes where RIPE and my avg was about 5per box- then about a yr ago they completly dried up and it was less than 1per box- i stipoed my orders for them and will puck up the occasional box when i have time but dont hit them hard like i used to

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
My long term average is 1.4 silver dimes per $250 searched, that hasn't changed
Most boxes have 0-2 silver dimes, a small amount will have 3-6, every once in awhile, I will get a box with >6 dimes, my record is 25.

The value of searching high volumes is to catch the high yield boxes.
If you search one box a week, you easily could get skunked for a month or two.

The key to dimes is dumping in a manner that avoids losses from being shorted, yet doesn't take up too much time.
I have found high quality coin counters at a credit union near me, additionally I find left behind coins that cover my losses.

Yesterday I dump $450 in dimes (found 3 silver dimes, UK 5 pence and one Canadian nonsilver dime)
Thus I should have had $449.50 but it came out $449.64. I was shorted one and one was counted as a penny.
but I found in the reject bin, 33 cents (US) that I threw and got credit for. Also I found:

Canadian: $1.35 (incl 4 copper pennies)
Swiss: 10 Rappen
Euro: 35 cents
Chuckie Chesse tokenx2 (I left those for the next CRHer, so don't call me greedy)

Last edited:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

Umm, yeah, it can be much worse. Quarters are far and away the worst denomination to hunt for silver, from both my experience and what I've read and gathered over the last several years. I average about 1 silver quarter per $3,000 searched - that's 1 silver out of SIX boxes...

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm, yeah, it can be much worse. Quarters are far and away the worst denomination to hunt for silver, from both my experience and what I've read and gathered over the last several years. I average about 1 silver quarter per $3,000 searched - that's 1 silver out of SIX boxes...

I averaged 1 silver dime per ~4.5 boxes. I'd rather do 6 boxes of quarters for a silver quarter as nearly 5 boxes of dimes for 1 silver dime.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
That makes sense. I average 1 silver dime per $200 searched, a little better than 1 per box, which I gathered was about average. 1 per 4.5 boxes would drive me out of the game. As it is, I rarely do dimes or quarters anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions