Are they ALL GONE

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going through a lone box of dimes that I picked up on the way home from work Tues. As I was date searching, it come to my attention that I've not seen a Merc dime for several months. All of a sudden two Rosie's show up in fourth roll, then another Rosie in the seventh. Thinking that this might be a great box, up pops a 1943-p Merc on the 10th roll. Still thinking that this may be a great box, nada, zip, skunk the rest of the box. Oh well, four silvers not bad, considering it could have had a family of skunks. Don't hear much in findings of Merc's these days. How have the rest of you DIME HUNTERS been doing with Merc's? Or are they ALL GONE.

Upvote 0

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There still out there Dozer. I'm still finding the occasional Merc and a good number of silver rosies. Also searched a box not too long ago that had 5 silver Canadian dimes in it which was a 1st for me.
Lately getting a lot of 2015s in my boxes.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found a Merc in a box - just in CWRs. I don't do a lot of dimes tho, so my sample size is really small. They are sweet tho. Love the design.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have found a Rosie even few months in coinstar reject bins ...but never a Merc.

Last edited:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug several, but only CRHed one.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are out there, but are uncommon to find, keep up the search.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
There still out there as far as I can tell.
I have found 11 (6.9%) so far this year out of 160 silver dimes.
I'm searching less boxes and thus finding less but yields are about the same

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one in a coin counter bag, dug one, found one in a Coinstar machine, and had my wife bring home four from her register all fairly recently. Can't recall the last one I found in a roll, but it couldn't have been that long ago.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have exact figures, but I would say I find a Merc every five boxes or so.

Although, I'm on a lofty dime skunk streak right now. Which is normal for me around this time of year.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
They're not all gone, but they're few and far between. I average one Mercury head per 35 silver Roosevelts.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does one buy a box of coins like this?

Go to a bank and ask for a box of whatever denomination you want. It helps if you go to a bank you have an account with.

Boxes come in these denominations usually

Cent/penny- $25
Nickel- $100
Dimes-$250
quarter- $500
half dollar-$500

also it really helps to read the sticky forum titled begins g coin roll hunting tips

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mercs are never going to be all gone. There is always going to be some fool who cashed them in at a bank. The reason the are so rare to find is that they are much easier to spot in your pocket change. The silver rosevelts are much easier to go I noticed in a jar of change.

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to a bank and ask for a box of whatever denomination you want. It helps if you go to a bank you have an account with.

Boxes come in these denominations usually

Cent/penny- $25
Nickel- $100
Dimes-$250
quarter- $500
half dollar-$500

also it really helps to read the sticky forum titled begins g coin roll hunting tips

Thanks much for the info. But dosen't the bank sort them before boxing them? What do you do with them after you go through them?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks much for the info. But dosen't the bank sort them before boxing them? What do you do with them after you go through them?
Your bank normally does not box the coin that you buy. They order coin and it's delivered by an armored service. After you sort your keepers, you dump the rejects at a different bank than where you've bought them, because you don't want to tick off the tellers or management.

BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS

Last edited:

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread