fooled me!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow do these not look like 40% edges or what? I thought I got a bunch of them but turns out they were just 76 Ds..... could someone have done this on purpose? 1434070228620.jpg

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't they make bicentennial halves that were 40% silver? I could swear that they did. Maybe you got a collection dump of them. Hope you didn't dump them yet.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't they make bicentennial halves that were 40% silver? I could swear that they did. Maybe you got a collection dump of them. Hope you didn't dump them yet.
Yea they did but those are the S mintmark ones. These are D and defintely arent silver. But i have never seen this color edge on non silver halves before.... These look like 40%ers but they arent, i just thought it was weird

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely look silver and couldve been painted or silver markered to play a cruel joke

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely look silver and couldve been painted or silver markered to play a cruel joke
That's what I was thinking. Not sure how to explain this but they don't look like the were tampered with, they look like an uncirculated edge you'd see on a 40%.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Spartcom, I just had one exactly like this last night. It wasn't a bicentennial though, it was a 1977 so I thought maybe it was a transitional error since they did strike silvers the year before (fat chance!) It looked EXACTLY like every other dirty 40% rim I've ever seen but it definitively failed the sound test... it was NOT struck on a silver planchet. The only explanation I could think of is silver plating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread