First Timer!

bamiddle

Jun 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been reading a lot of forums and watching some YouTube video and finally decided to give this a try. This past Monday i ordered my first box of half and finally got it Thursday. Seems I had pretty decent luck also here is my bounty!

But before that quick question for some of you who have been doing this for a while! How frequent do you find Bicentennials in your rolls? I ask because I was seeing a lot. I started tossing them off to the side to count at the end. In the end i had $60.00 in Bicentennials Halves. Is this common?

Now to figure out how to dump all these and do this again!

(1) 1965
(4) 1966
(3) 1967
(2) 1968
(1) 1960 -Ben
(1) 1976S Bicentennial Silver

UqDlXYw.jpg

Upvote 0

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Average (more or less) mintage for the early 70's by year including mint marks..............300 million. Late 70's...............75 to 80 million..........
For 1976...........520 million..............

Great haul for your first box.............!!!

Last edited:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For a first-timer, I would say you had fantastic luck on box one. YOU ARE HOOKED, welcome to the club.

OP
OP
B

bamiddle

Jun 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think i am! The picture doesn't do the 76 bicentennial justice at all its an extremely good looking coin, it's astonishing.

I been researching places that may have free coin machines for account holders. Best I've found so far was one that had 5% for account holders.

For now I re roll and cash in till I can find a better solution.

Does anyone recommend one book over another? I been looking at the following two debating what one.

The Official Red Book: A Guide of Book of U.S. Coins 2016 69th Edition (Whitman)

and

A Guide Book of United States Coins Deluxe Edition

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get that new deluxe red book! And then you'll be set on the red book for a few years.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why not just google? Cointrackers.com

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bicentennials are a dime a dozen throw em back unless BU- great box by the way for #1-
And if you decide to hunt for more than just ag get cherry pickers guide vol1 &vol2

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome first box! And a Ben too - that's great. I think I got skunked on my first three boxes. Welcome to your new addiction!

OP
OP
B

bamiddle

Jun 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp stopped by a bank on the way home got $240 CRW skunko. Think i may have been someones dump, they all were freshly rolled and all the heads facing the same way.

However i did stop @ to more banks on the way home and got $5 in loose halves from a teller... and 3 67s! Also was told one the tellers on vacation had a half dozen or so Ikes to come back later in the week for!

OP
OP
B

bamiddle

Jun 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well another $500 box this week and 15.5 in loose from a few banks, nothing. I did pickup 100 in $2 to take a look at though.

OP
OP
B

bamiddle

Jun 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i think im hooked! Since my first box almost a month ago ive searched the following:

Loose $210.00
CWR $920.00
MWR $3,000.00
Totals: $4,130.00

Currently on a 4 Box skunk roll. However tonight i went through 2 boxes and found my first proofs! One was a 71 and the other was a 05!

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Just like watching a good fishing show. Hookset, fish on!!

Ah, the allure of beginner's luck. No turning back now. Nice haul.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread