jeffminer3315

Greenie
May 15, 2015
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im new to coin collecting and discovered this 1935s Wheat Penny with lines running
thru the date and mint mark. Has any one ever seen this? 20150620_145308.jpg

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a die/scratched error. Nice find, but the real experts will reply soon.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Try taking a closeup pic or two of the lines and Date and uploading them here. As is, when I click on the pic it opens to a larger pic but I am unable to tell what is up with the lines and when I click on that pic, the zoomed in pic is too pixelated to tell anything either.

Frank

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like the line was stamped ontop of the date, then the mind mark ontop of the second line...
20150620_145308.jpg

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange as this sounds, after seeing how worn the entire coin is and then how defined the error is, I would take it to a pro and see if it is faked or added. Yes the "S" is above but the wear really makes me wonder. The die must have broke but I've never seen an error as distinct as this and if it was real, I think it would have been grabbed up long before any wear came to it. It just doesn't look equal, even the date wear and then with this on top... I would need to look at it under a scope.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I really don't enjoy reading posts where people can't have a nice conversation and laugh about things.

No one on here is being paid to answer your questions..
So it's a little rude to respond to someone saying something silly.

Anyway.. Interesting whisker penny you have there
Take it to your local vet and see what they say about it.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't enjoy reading posts where people can't have a nice conversation and laugh about things.

No one on here is being paid to answer your questions..
So it's a little rude to respond to someone saying something silly.

Anyway.. Interesting whisker penny you have there
Take it to your local vet and see what they say about it.

I agree. I personally think it has to be Pmd. Kinda like sliced with an exacto knife then worn over time to give it a rounded look.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Been collecting coins for a LONG time and this one has me stumped. At first I thought it was from a damaged die that had the "S" repunched afterwards. This would explain why the line is on top of the date but under the mint mark. But.. Logic tells me that when they repunched the s they surely would have caught the damage. I have to say it's been damaged after being minted but I'm not sure how it could happen and cause the raised lines. One theory was that maybe a couple strands of copper wire ended up being stuck to the coin but the s being on top of the one line cancels out that thought.. Perplexing for sure.. If it was mine though I might be tempted to pick at one of the "lines" with a needle and see if it comes off. The amount of wear on the lines dosn't match the amount of wear on the rest of the coin which also makes me think it had to have happened later.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Doc Brown would say, you're not thinking 4th dimensionally. If die damage, the damage could be on the face of the die. The mint mark is recessed into the die and wouldn't be damaged.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. I personally think it has to be Pmd. Kinda like sliced with an exacto knife then worn over time to give it a rounded look.

I guess I'm seeing it differently. It looks to me like the "whiskers" are raised from the surface, not recessed (cut) into the surface.

If it were die gouge for example, that die defect would need to be after the date engraving but before the mint mark engraving to show what the photo looks like to me. There might be a perception problem that makes people see it differently (blue/black or white/gold).

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dies aren't engraved. They're made from working hubs. The mm is punched into the die during that era. I'm suggesting a cut looking like a plowed field. The knife making a deep cut and the excess metal being pushed to the outside like dirt pushed out from a row. Time would round that off, hiding the original cut.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dies aren't engraved. They're made from working hubs. The mm is punched into the die during that era. I'm suggesting a cut looking like a plowed field. The knife making a deep cut and the excess metal being pushed to the outside like dirt pushed out from a row. Time would round that off, hiding the original cut.

Yeah, I realize that each working die is not individually engraved. Rather, they are made from a working hub, made from a master, made from an engraving. I was just trying to convey the concept of order of things.

I see where you are going with the concept of an exacto-like cut pushing a plow ridge next to a furrow. It is hard to imagine that as the cause, but as you say, continued wear could erase the telltales.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread