I just got a call from a bank...

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not have an account with this bank, but they are happy when I come in and take their CWR's off their hands. I bring them cold drinks every couple of visits and things are good. Today they called me and said that a lady just turned in 96 silver dollars that her recently deceased father left behind -- along with $200.00 of wrapped and labeled half dollars... I didn't ask for specifics, and I'm expecting them to be boring old Ike's (which is still great), but what if...

I'm walking out the door right now to go get them. I will update ASAP!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I'm the proud owner of 96 Ike's. No silver in the bunch, but some of them are in great shape. A fun little treat that made it all worth it was a little stack of halves at the bottom of the bag that nobody noticed. Pulled out a 1971 S Proof that is ALMOST mint, and 8 1971 regular halves that are essentially uncirculated.

All in all, it was a thrilling morning.

I'll stop talking to myself now.

O-dog

Feb 21, 2015
Toronto, ON
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck, Dave!

A man dropped off 40 silver dollars at my local bank two months ago. They're in the vault, and I'm still working on getting them. One of the tellers kept one of the dollars: a 1959, so I know that they're actually silver!

Edit: Too bad on the Ikes. Hopefully you'll get an actual Peace or Morgan sometime!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, Dave!

A man dropped off 40 silver dollars at my local bank two months ago. They're in the vault, and I'm still working on getting them. One of the tellers kept one of the dollars: a 1959, so I know that they're actually silver!

Edit: Too bad on the Ikes. Hopefully you'll get an actual Peace or Morgan sometime!

Ummm there were NO dollar coins minted in 1959- The silver Peace dollar was last minted in 1935 and then the Ikes started in 1971

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that still deserves a Congrats on just the fact you have good relationship with the bank for them to call you.....

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummm there were NO dollar coins minted in 1959- The silver Peace dollar was last minted in 1935 and then the Ikes started in 1971

If you do not count all the ones made in Denver in 1964. I have read stories that there may be a few that escaped the melting pot, but to this day none have turned up. I sometimes daydream of finding one at a bank - that someone turns in after their mint worker relative passes on.

There has to be one out there somewhere.....just...has... to...be.......or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread