Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Since you asked, here is my opinion, which is worth exactly what you just paid me to express it.

A dump bank should meet a few criteria that are critical. 1) accurate coin counter, preferably one with customer access. An alternative can be to take pre counted coinlok bags with account credit within 3 working days. 2) be agreeable to taking several hundred dollars in coin every day. 3) should used an armored service that uses a coin service location different from any of my pick up banks.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it depends on the volume you're going to be searching... If you're going to do a box every other week, well that's just going to be a drop in the bucket but if you're going to search 5-10+ boxes weekly then sooner or later you're going to start getting your dumps back.

The idea behind using different couriers is that you're keeping coins you've already searched out of your own supply. Why pollute your supply with your own skunky dumps if you don't have to?

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
The idea behind using different couriers is that you're keeping coins you've already searched out of your own supply. Why pollute your supply with your own skunky dumps if you don't have to?

I have 3 different couriers in my area but I believe they all use the same prossesing center. I tested this the end of last year by marking a few boxes of halves. I dumped them at a bank I know uses Guarda. A few months later I got some of them back from a pick up bank that uses Brinks. In my area it makes no differance.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
When it comes to pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters it doesn't matter which courier service is used. The total volume of coins so high, what you searched is a drop in the bucket.

since halve dollars do not circulate much, it could be an issue is some locations. I am convinced that majority of half dollar exchanges involve CRH activity of some kind.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that one armored car service delivers coins wrapped by 3 separate companies in my area... not sure that they use the same facility though, since each company produces different marks and some give up more silver than others in the long run.
I have 3 different couriers in my area but I believe they all use the same prossesing center. I tested this the end of last year by marking a few boxes of halves. I dumped them at a bank I know uses Guarda. A few months later I got some of them back from a pick up bank that uses Brinks. In my area it makes no differance.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other

I suppose that is possible as well. What I think is more likely is that someone else searched what you dumped into Garda and then passed it back into your Brinks supply!

I marked for a few months and never received coins back that I dumped into a different courier, but I definitely received my own back when dumping into my own supply. You said you got yours back after a few months which is what led me to my thought above. I know when I dumped into my own supply I would start getting them back in around 3 weeks to a month, not a few months. A few months is enough time for them to be re-dumped into Brinks from Garda. Just my theory.

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know people dump my dumps back into my pickups, from my markings. Not frequent enough to be from the processing center, and they have a little more wear on the marks.

OTOH, I proved that I'd get my dumps back by buying some rolls from a bank that gets serviced by my dump bank, and over half the coins in the rolls had my marks.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a solid theory. I have gotten my marks back in as little as 2 weeks when I dumped into my own supply, but I try my best to dump into other supplies, and it seems to be working. I have not gotten many of my dumps back.
I suppose that is possible as well. What I think is more likely is that someone else searched what you dumped into Garda and then passed it back into your Brinks supply!

I marked for a few months and never received coins back that I dumped into a different courier, but I definitely received my own back when dumping into my own supply. You said you got yours back after a few months which is what lead me to my thought above. I know when I dumped into my own supply I would start getting them back in around 3 weeks to a month, not a few months. A few months is enough time for them to be re-dumped into Brinks from Garda. Just my theory.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As already stated- with halves it really doesnt matter that much because your dump bank/courier is another CRH pick up and their dump is your pick up-so my only advice is find ones that will allow you to dump as much as possible and with a coin counter with out any fees-

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
Is their any unwritten rule about marking coins? I see a lot of them, but have never marked my own. I'd like to give it a go, but not if it's a no-no to the hobby.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used

I marked for a few months and never received coins back that I dumped into a different courier, but I definitely received my own back when dumping into my own supply. You said you got yours back after a few months which is what led me to my thought above. I know when I dumped into my own supply I would start getting them back in around 3 weeks to a month, not a few months. A few months is enough time for them to be re-dumped into Brinks from Garda. Just my theory.

Some of my dump banks don't send them back right away. I have been told many times when I bring in a box that they still have box (es) in there vaults from me. I think they wait till they have a few before sending them back.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is their any unwritten rule about marking coins? I see a lot of them, but have never marked my own. I'd like to give it a go, but not if it's a no-no to the hobby.

You'll get advice on both ends- some will cuss you out for marking coins others wont care-
I marked 1k worth 2 times to see how fast they came back to me- the first time about 500 came back in 3weeks, the second time it was months before i saw them- if you want to do a test in your area go for it, but other wise i wouldnt bother just wastes time really

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of my dump banks don't send them back right away. I have been told many times when I bring in a box that they still have box (es) in there vaults from me. I think they wait till they have a few before sending them back.

Ah, that might be the difference then. You re-wrap and deposit, but I dump via coin machine. I know my dump banks send out bags off of the machine weekly but maybe it's different for re-rollers.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ideally you'd want to get the rejects into another system if possible. But as others have stated, unless you're doing massive volume, it really shouldn't matter much at all.

I have dumped back into my own system from day 1. I have to as the same Loomis truck delivers to every bank within 40+ miles of me. I have never marked a coin, but during my time in this hobby I have found and dumped a great number of holed, stickered, plated and otherwise uniquely marked coins that I would instantly recognize should I see them again. I can't say with certainty that I never received any of my own dumps back, but I never knowingly ever received any of them back.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Ah, that might be the difference then. You re-wrap and deposit, but I dump via coin machine. I know my dump banks send out bags off of the machine weekly but maybe it's different for re-rollers.

Yes, unfortunately there are no coin machines anywhere around me.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I have dumped back into my own system from day 1. I have to as the same Loomis truck delivers to every bank within 40+ miles of me. I have never marked a coin, but during my time in this hobby I have found and dumped a great number of holed, stickered, plated and otherwise uniquely marked coins that I would instantly recognize should I see them again. I can't say with certainty that I never received any of my own dumps back, but I never knowingly ever received any of them back.

This. I've had the same experience, never recall seeing a "unique" coin more than once.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone is painting dimes yellow by me, and then I mark them with a sharpie if i find them, and I didn't find any for years, and then once I got one I marked only a month prior back. Was confusing to say the least, since I have probably marked only a hundred or so dimes that were already painted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread