beginners luck

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
beginner's luck

After reading all your posts, I picked up 4 rolls this morning while depositing a check at my bank. I called my closest branch, but they only had two rolls, so I went to another branch nearby who said they had plenty. Wouldn't you know, the first three had zilch, but the last roll had two 64's and a 68. Not bad.

I live in an urban area, so I didn't expect much. It seems the people in the rural areas do the best, maybe becasue the small town banks have rolls that have been sitting in the vault for a while?

I think I'll try some more, although I don't think I'll be buying them by the box.

Upvote 0

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Re: beginner's luck

Welcome to the hunt.

I thought it was a smart move to leave the two rolls at the closest branch. That way they will be there when you go in to order your box(es). ;D

Now that this disease that has infected it will take a while to take over so watch out for the first signs:

1) Constant manipulation of the coins, because you will start to like the feel and sound of silver.
2) Increased size of calf muscles due to leaning over to look at teller trays and cash drawers.
3) Desire to create spreadsheet to track finds and value of finds.

65GT350

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

65gt350 said:
Already done that, its a whopper of a file and growing every week.

It also keeps track of the 5 bank accounts I have, what I take out, what I dump and a running total.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats Doug.

I have to agree with all of the above replies....lol. Good luck in your future hunts.

OP
OP
DougF

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro

Thanks, everyone. After reading some more posts here, I saw where post-2001's are keepers. Went back through the rolls and found one 2002P. Bonus!!!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

65gt350 said:

Or multiple spreadsheets, each with multiple worksheets. I currently have 6 that I am keeping up to date. :P

Sheet 1) Trip report - contains what banks I visit and when, what I bought/sold there, and what were the results (results broken down by many categories which is where I get the monthly stats that I show in my monthly stats).

Sheet 2) Collection - keeps track of overall what I have, what I need, etc. Since the goal of my collection is a roll of each year/mintmark/intentional variation combination for each US coin made for circulation plus enough to fill any books I decide to keep as well as 1 each of common errors or coins with extremely low mintage, this is a rather detailed set of sheets listing all US coins and all their combinations and how many of each that I have, percent complete, total collection face value, etc. Obviously, with such lofty goals, I will never be done. Also tracks US currency.

Sheet 3) 2007 personal tracking list - tracks which coins I have found in 2007: US, Canadian, and Foreign.

Sheet 4) Lifetime tracking list - similar to the 2007 tracking list except that I have ever found in my lifetime. It only includes coins I am positive where found and not purchased or given.

Sheet 5) 2007 Group tracking list - this is the basis for the tracking list thread has the details of what has been found, gives percentages complete, etc.

Sheet 6) 2007 Metal Detector tracking list - tracks what I have found with my metal detector, not related to CRH at all, but based on same set of sheets.

Note: that I do not have a sheet that shows the overall value of my collection other than at face value. Mainly because it takes too long to grade each coin and keep the pricing information up to date as well. I can quickly do rough order of magnitude calculation to get a value that is close enough for me. Granted since a large portion of my collection is rolls of recent common date coins, their value is only face even if they are in good shape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread