Error or PMD ?

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Found this in a roll. Do you think it is an error or PMD? You can barely make out that the last number is a 4

ForumRunner_20150705_101924.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The coin appears to have been sandblasted from the pic! Could you take some pics in natural light and post them? It is hard to tell if the chatter all over the Obverse of the coin is consistent with sandblasting or other damage.

Frank

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Looks like PMD. However, the image lacks detail and is out of focus, so it is very hard to be accurate.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Not the best camera on my phone. And no natural sunlight today ( overcast and drizzle ).
Hopefully this pic is better

ForumRunner_20150705_103657.png

ForumRunner_20150705_103713.png

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Although there is no supporting evidence on the Reverse of the coin, it appears that the Obverse took a hit from some unknown item. If the obliterated Date and "D" and "WE" in IN GOD WE TRUST were the result of a grease strike, it should not have the pock marks from the Date to Kennedy's bust nor the area extending into Kennedy's neck.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Although there is no supporting evidence on the Reverse of the coin, it appears that the Obverse took a hit from some unknown item. If the obliterated Date and "D" and "WE" in IN GOD WE TRUST were the result of a grease strike, it should not have not have the pock marks from the Date to Kennedy's bust nor the are extending into Kennedy's neck.

Frank

The Reverse is in perfect shape. I just can not imagine what could have struck the coin and left those marks without damaging the rim.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The Reverse is in perfect shape. I just can not imagine what could have struck the coin and left those marks without damaging the rim.

I understand but I believe that it is Post Mint damage either accidental or intentional! You might email the latest pics to Mike Diamond (Error Coin Examiner and member of Coneca) at [email protected] and get his opinion on the coin.

Frank

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
I am pretty sure you are correct. But, I sent the last pic to Mike Diamond.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
I understand but I believe that it is Post Mint damage either accidental or intentional! You might email the latest pics to Mike Diamond (Error Coin Examiner and member of Coneca) at [email protected] and get his opinion on the coin.

Frank

I got an email back this morning from Mike Diamond. He concluded that it IS a strike through error. From a large patch of grease.
I wonder what it might be worth?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Did Mike give reasoning/cause of the pock marks! If the coin was struck through grease, I doubt that the grease would cause the pock marks, so dirt/debris must have been in the grease to cause them.

Frank

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
He did not give a reason/cause just stated thatb it was a strike through error.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread