I wasnt expecting this today

Sapper1371

Greenie
Mar 26, 2015
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't expecting this today

So today as I was getting ready to leave from some fire training, I got a voicemail on my phone and listened to it.

One of the tellers at the bank across the street gave me a call and said she had some half dollars and Eisenhower's. I ended up picking up fourth dollars worth of halves which yielded 8 40%. I was pretty excited to say the least.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437083562.821540.jpg

Tomorrow I'll go back and see if I can get that last roll of halves. As far as Eisenhower's go, is there anything worth look for or should I just stick to the last roll of halves?

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Contrary to the statement below, 40% Eisenhower dollars can occasionally be found in circulation. They were issued in mint & proof sets, which are sometimes broken up and spent. I have found a couple.

The statement below was copied and pasted from Coinflation's website.

The 40% silver version of the Eisenhower dollar was issued as a collectible only, they are generally not found in circulation. The best way to distinguish the two versions is by weight. The copper-nickel version weighs 22.68 grams, the silver Ike dollar weighs 24.59 grams.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish that my tellers at the six bank branches would do the same for me some day. Congrats to the teller and for your trophy catch.

OP
OP
S

Sapper1371

Greenie
Mar 26, 2015
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant to say I picked up $40 worth of halves, not fourth.

Anyway, appreciate the feedback! I'll probably just pick up the last roll of halves tomorrow as the dollars would be too much of a hassle.

I was shocked honestly. I've never gotten a call from any bank not have I asked them to give me a call. I suppose being persistent pays off [emoji106]🏼

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
One of the reasons for asking Tellers for the Eisenhower dollars is that by saying, "Do you have any of the large dollar coins?" there is the chance of maybe finding a Peace or Morgan without asking for silver dollars. Another reason for buying everything like Eisenhowers is that a good Teller might call you if any do come in or even a bunch of real old big ones because, "I know you like these." They are easy to spend. GL and HH

At both banks that get my halves, the Vault Tellers call me when my boxes get in. Last week she left a message that besides my box the other Teller was holding 7.50 loose and 3 rolls which turned out to be 1 solid roll plus 8 -40%'s for a total of 28-40%'s.

Last edited:

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth, you can sell Ikes for a little over face value. Probably nothing amazing, but I've heard of people unloading them sight unseen for $1.15-1.25 per.

OP
OP
S

Sapper1371

Greenie
Mar 26, 2015
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back and bought the last roll they had. Complete bust haha Oh well, I'm still happy about yesterday!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread