Silver, silver, silver!

johnnyv123

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I went to my bank to get some half dollars, and as I was chatting with the teller, she mentioned someone brought in a roll of half dollars yesterday. I figured, what the heck, so I traded a bank rolled half dollar roll for the customer rolled one. The CWR looked pretty old, and I was eager to open it. As I opened up the one end, I saw a 1968 Kennedy staring back at me. As I unwrapped the roll, I found 9 more silvers, for a total of 9 40% halves a 1 90% half.

In the remaining $190 of bank wrapped rolls, I found one more 1964 Kennedy and two more 40%. I found all three in consecutive rolls I opened (one in each roll).

Thanks,

John

Attached are pictures of the roll I found the ten silvers in and the ten silvers.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437152798.574629.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437152816.089837.jpg

As an FYI, I did not get these rolls from "Union National Bank", even though that is what the roll said.

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It certainly worked out for you. Congrats!

However, personally I would have had a very hard time trading an unopened/unsearched roll (machine wrapped, bank wrapped, or otherwise) for a CWR. I would have first tried hard for trading FRNs for it.

OP
OP
J

johnnyv123

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but no one else ever gets half dollars from this small town bank, so if there was no silver, I would have wrapped it up in my car and came back in to get the other roll.

OP
OP
J

johnnyv123

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Thank you for that historical information! Next time I see a Union National Bank roll, I will snatch it up. I knew it looked old, but had no clue about that history!

Thanks,

John

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but no one else ever gets half dollars from this small town bank, so if there was no silver, I would have wrapped it up in my car and came back in to get the other roll.
What I was thinking is that the BWR roll that you traded for the CWR might have also had Ag - not loaded like the score you got from the CWR, but possibly something. That's why I say I couldn't let it go without having searched it.

Again, nice cull. You are doing it correctly.

OP
OP
J

johnnyv123

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely get what your saying LooseChange, it's just that I could have gone right back in a got the other roll of there was no silver in the CWR.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score! I had similar thoughts as Loosechange, but I agree with you Johnny...if the bank roll is depleted, then I would exchange an unsearched mwr for an old cwr any day.

It also sounds like you can go back and probably pick up the mwr next time (because I would wonder if it had any silver). Nice finds.

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, I got three CWRs from a credit union here in SW Washington the other day and they were in those Union National Bank rolls. I was quite excited to see them, until I got them in my hand and saw the writing on the sides. "1971-Clad, 1972-Clad, 1973-Cald" Guess someone traded in their collection. On the plus side, they were in damn nice shape, so I filled or upgraded some holes for sure!

OP
OP
J

johnnyv123

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily for me, I live in a small town, and after chatting with a few tellers, it seems I'm the only person to CRH for a long time in my area. Also, when I asked the teller how long half dollar rolls sit around in the bank, she said sometimes several months. I figured, eventually, if I really want to, I can get all the customer rolled rolls in the bank, sort through them, dump then at another bank, and wait to see how many more hopefully silver filled rolls come in.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone has heard of or had (you very well might have, I'm not sure which areas they serve) N.F. String and Son, based out of Harrisburg, PA. I've had very good luck with their rolls so far, averaging a silver every 3 or 4 rolls.

Thanks,

John

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Johnnyv123: H.F.String is the name of the manufacturer of the PAPER ROLLS that are used to roll the coins. What you need to find out at your bank is who the coin supplier is?, as Brinks, Garda, Dunbar, etc these are the guys that get the loose change from the banks, roll coins into box full amounts and sell back to banks ( not private individuals like yourself). So if you found some rolls to be very lucky, must then find out who the coin vendor supply's the bank.

OP
OP
J

johnnyv123

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dozer,

Thanks for the information, I feel a little stupid for thinking nf string rolled coins... Anyways, I will ask a teller next Monday.

Thanks,

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread