My first box!

sideshowbob

Jun 21, 2013
I decided to start this hobby in the downtime between metal detecting. I have a two and a half year old girl that just loves playing with coins. She calls them her treasures! I'm going to nurture that addiction ;)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437420137.032867.jpg

Can y'all throw my some pointers on key coins to look out for while We go through these dimes? I have my own list I've been creating, but I know you all know much more than this humble newbie to the hobby. I'll get y'all the results as I go through them. Thanks!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sideshowbob

sideshowbob

Jun 21, 2013
I did a look quick look through for silver. I found four promising rolls. My first one yielded a 64 Rosie. Two rolls after that were silver skunks. I have one last roll that is definitely promising. The reeded edge is different. More spacing in it. I'm waiting for my wife and daughter to wake up and see what is. I'm just so excited to have already found my first silver from crh!
I just went to my bank and broached the subject of starting a coin collection for my daughter. I'm investing her cash she just has doing nothing from her piggy banks and making a silver/ and rare coin collection for her future. Meanwhile, also satisfying my addiction to discovering treasures. They didn't have any halfs or large dollars so I grabbed a box of dimes. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437423403.028924.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437423466.330435.jpg

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first box! Dimes are popular because they are fairly consistent at producing a silver or two per box. However, they are easily the least fun to search if you are looking for non-silver value, errors, or varieties (my opinion of course). You can look for proofs, 2009's (I believe they have lower mint numbers), and the off chance of finding a 1996W. I would suggest edge searching for a color difference (I found a 3 cent nickel once) and then you can quickly scan them for errors such as broadstrike, lamination, clipped planchet, etc. You could also look for varieties but again, there are better options for this then dimes.

Good luck. Hope you find a silver dime or two.

OO

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you posted your second message before I finished mine. Congrats on the silver. From your picture that looks like a very warn dime. It would be really neat if you found a merc or barber in your first box.

Edit: after looking closer, it might also be a foreign. But I'm still hoping it's a silver.

OP
OP
sideshowbob

sideshowbob

Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for the prompt comments! I still haven't opened that one, it's killing me lololol. I went back through all the other rolls as I returned them to the box and found two more promising rolls. Might as well wait for those too. I want to go through each and every dime for possible errors and proof coins before I return it.
So.... Could someone list a clad coins list I should be on the look out for. Or is there a quick glance good listing website I should just refer too. I have plans on getting the new redbook shortly.

OP
OP
sideshowbob

sideshowbob

Jun 21, 2013
Thanks owassokie! I am about to make some "accidental" noise to wake up the girls so I can open these other three rolls in front of them. Hopefully it gets my wife more on board with this new hobby. Any other dimes I should look for?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to dimes, there really isn't anything to look for other than silver. To me, it isn't worth the time and effort it takes to date search every single tiny coin to occasionally find an impaired proof that really isn't worth anything anyway. Of course, you might​ miss a 1996 'w' or a no-mintmark 1982 by not date searching. Most likely not though.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds!!! There's more out there to find...........
A word of caution..........dimes are tough on the eyes. Mine went buggy for a few days after searching through over 5,000 in a day.................
The other posters have covered about everything there is to look for in the clads...........good luck and happy hunting!!!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Dimes are a low profit coin. There is little beyond the occasional silver roosie. There are errors of course. Clipped planchets, cracked dies, filled dies, and the myriad of other errors that some of us look for. Learn what the common errors are. Pick up a few at the LCS so you know what to look for. Invest in a large 5x magnifier. You will need it. Enjoy.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEWARE THE WHITE EDGED MAGNETIC CANADIAN DIME!!!!!!, but '68 and older are 50-80% SILVER:-)

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice grab on the 2 silvers. We did one dime box a few months ago and found ONE silver Rosie. The problem was, the cats like to help and knocked over the box after we were done..................picking up most of the dimes from the floor wasn't to fun, :BangHead:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, Congrats on the finds. That's a great start!

Sorry if I'm harping on it...I'll stop after this post. :icon_thumleft: I really think you'll find the other denominations more exciting, especially if you want the family involved. I honestly don't know of one person that consistently date checks all their dimes (although I'm sure they exist). The list of varieties for cents and nickels are more than most can remember. Another positive is that they are larger and easier to view/search. Kids really enjoy cents because there is a decent find rate for 'wheats' and they are easy to spot. Nickels have a lot of variety AND you find silver AND you can fill an entire Jefferson album with hard work. You find war nickels, buffalo nickels, V nickels. There are several key date nickels. There are lots of error/variety nickels. The only good thing about dimes is the consistency at which you find silver.

OO

drewbaccas

Mar 8, 2013
Careful with those small coins with your daughter. They are small enough to really hurt her.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions