First nickel box results...

Brandon3000

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife and I sorted through our first nickel box. Out of everything we kept everything 1960 and older. Found two war nickels. 1943-S and 1944-P. Also found two Canadian 5c and one South African 5c.
So we found. A L O T of 1960 and earlier coins. Are there key dates I should look for? I can't imagine keeping this many nickels every box I sort through haha.
We're my results pretty average? Was really hoping for a buffalo! Haha.
Pic below.
Large pile is all 1960 and earlier. Pile directly above it are 05 Buffaloes that I want to take a closer look at for spears. Next to that are the foreign coins and finally the war nickels.
EsOdVxy.jpg

Upvote 0

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
I love nickels more than any other coin, and it's not even close. I like to keep 1959 and older, although I don't really think their is a need to other than I think they're neat and I guess you never know -- when I die in 50 years (knock on wood I make it that long), who knows what they'll be worth, and at the very worst, I'll have something to pass down to my grandkids.

I also started setting aside the cleanest, nearest to mint 2009's, "special" ones (new buffs, Louisiana Purchase, the trees, etc.), and any year that looks to be near UNC just because you never know. I've got approx two rolls of each of the above mentioned and they ll look brand new -- now I don't bother keeping them unless they are absolutely perfect, but it's fun to collect a few rolls, because again, you just never know. Besides, the "special" ones, especially the buff's, look cool as hell.

Keep searching for the old Buff's, they're still out there and can be found. I've only found one in a bank rolled Loomis roll, but three in different customer wrapped rolls. I also found one in a bag that I bought from the credit union's coinstar machine. (If you can buy bags from your bank, I recommend it -- more fun, easier, faster, and you won't have all the hassle and mess of the box and wrappers all over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread