sparky6307

Greenie
Jul 20, 2015
Dillsburg PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone else had the bank tell them they were not supposed to hand out coins ?

about two weeks ago i decided to try my hand in coin roll hunting, i didn't call first shame on me.....

but when i got there they were very hesitant to give me $50 in nickels and told me they are actually not supposed to do it, i asked why and they wouldn't tell me

and then on top of that they gave me $25 worth of new coins :BangHead: after i told them what i was doing, but out of the other $25 i did get 5 silvers so i guess that's better than nothing

Upvote 0

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, if you don't have a merchant (business) account, many banks will not sell you coins.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had banks that would not break a $20 bill for smaller bills or sell me rolls of coins because I didn't have an account with them (any account, not just a merchant account). When I asked for coins, it was legitimately because I needed change, I wasn't CRH. This was years ago and I needed quarters for something like the laundromat, parking meters, or toll booths.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only banks I did not have an account with,
would say they are not supposed to deal with non customers.
some wont even break a dollar for change for a meter
unless you open an account.

OP
OP
S

sparky6307

Greenie
Jul 20, 2015
Dillsburg PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a member of said bank, Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As jeff said, I've had banks refuse me because I wasn't a customer...........
I tell them that I'm building coin collections for my grandkids (which is the truth) and that I'm not a "collector" as much as a "hobbyist". It seems to help..............
Some banks have said "We're not supposed to do this for non-customers, but.......". And I would get a few rolls.........
At a couple of banks (where I knew one or two tellers), I would just talk to them a bit and they would sell me limited rolls.......
At banks I have accounts with, I can buy all the coins I want........as long as I don't return them.

I've found that it's all about building and maintaining relationships with people..........but, I live in a small community, too, which helps...........

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be looking for another bank :(

Yep threaten to take your business else where and if they still wont exchange for you (especially for so low amount) then seriously find a new bank

OP
OP
S

sparky6307

Greenie
Jul 20, 2015
Dillsburg PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I appreciate all the advice..... As stated it was my first time so I was a total newb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sparky6307

Greenie
Jul 20, 2015
Dillsburg PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will be doing so today on my lunch break thanks for the advice

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that banks pay a fee for those rolls of coins. If you are an account holder, most banks will sell you a few rolls or even a box(es) at no charge (until you "wear out your welcome" by doing it too often). However, they are under no obligation whatsoever to do so.

My advice would be to find a bank that is cooperative toward your CRH hobby and then give them all of the business that you can.

Last edited:

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience, credit unions are the place to go. Mine doesn't care at all, and in fact many of the tellers seem genuinely interested in it when I come in to dump coin in the counter. I am not a member at the CU I buy coin from, and they told me it's no problem to sell up to $500 in coins at a time. I have another tiny CU I pick up from, and they only get customer wrapped rolls. They are always more than happy to get rid of them, because otherwise they'd have to pay someone to take them away if they end up with too many!

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
^^^. What he said. I have three or four pickup banks that I'm not a member of that sell me CWR happily, and even one who calls me whenever they get a bunch in. They love it when I clean out their CWR's because it's less work for them.

So, find a bank that takes CWR's and work your mojo -- buy them cold drinks or $5.00 gift cards to a local drink/ice cream shop and they'll be yours forever. (Kind of pricey if there are five or six tellers, but it makes up for it in spades once you've established good report.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread