Coin Roll Hunting is done! Silver is gone!!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
In the past 2 months without CRHing just checking the spare change holders at our workplace and the coinstar I have found 2 quarters and nine rosies. Not much but its something to find. the 2 quarters came from a guy paying for food and internally I was warring with myself to tell him to keep the coins and inform him silver. But then I was also telling myself to shut up, constantly, that it was SILVER! The silver song was too hard to resist and I kept the quarters. One was a standing liberty that was pretty worn down and the other was a 1934. but the pickings are getting really really slim. No coins at all in any of my rolls for the past 5 months. ugh!!

Sincerely, Garoulady

I have had those thoughts as well (to tell people about silver) but this entire hobby is based on finding value in what others choose to sell for face value (instead of melt/numismatic)

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it fun people - try different strategies (CWR's instead of Boxes ) the occasional bag if you can get it - I've said it before
and it looks like I'll have to say it again and again - this thing is RANDOM - you cannot predict when and where the "unknowing ,
and the "uncaring " will deposit collectibles into circulation - you cannot ! anybody who thinks I'm mistaken - consider this ...
when you scored silver coins in any appreciable amounts - do you really believe that these coins were circulating non- stop since
1964 or way earlier in many cases ? - I didn't think so .

Sep 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our coin forum is a great source of information. Talk with coin collectors just like yourself to expand your knowledge in this great hobby. I love coin roll hunting! I spent $20 on rolls of nickels & half-dollars and found some great silver coins, plus old coins worth much more than face value. thanks

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Been roll hunting since the late 1970's and have found more silver the last seven years than I ever found back then.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
As sad as it is I somewhat agree with Cincinatti Kid. There's still Silver to find, but I remember when I quit in 2012 I quit because I was searching $1K a week in Dimes and barely finding 1 per box. The CRH pressure is up and increased phenomenally since I started in 2009. Yes there is still Silver to find but it's starting to become not worth the trouble and the small finds barely even can pay for the gas to go to the bank.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Spartcom5. Continued success...
I've not tried estate sales yet.
Peace ✌

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fistfulladirt, pleeease reveal your secret.
Are you finding more silver now because you have more time to search or are you lucky?
Success in finding silver is obviously in the amount searched which now takes much more time.
There ain't much left, sorry.
Peace ✌

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you finding more silver now because you have more time to search or are you lucky?
Success in finding silver is obviously in the amount searched which now takes much more time.
Peace ✌
You are correct, the key is volume.
At these prices, who is even hunting, unless it's for the love.
My buddy started hunting this year, and has already found seated, several Barbers, merc, Canadian silver, silver halves, it's crazy!

We used to throw the 40's back.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peace ✌

I think what FFD is saying, and I certainly agree, is that there is just as much 90% silver in circulation right now - if not more - than there was in the late 1970's.

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like my area is behind the times- the other weirdos (myself NOT included, of course) are still doing it.

In fact, a teller told me someone yelled at her last week because the bank DIDN'T have the coins they wanted.

It's as if the bank DOESN'T say "personal coin shop" on the sign...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread