Proof Half Dollars

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really random. I've gone many boxes without finding one then I have found 30+ in one box. I think they are a fairly common occurrence. They carry an okay premium in pristine condition, but the problem is that once they get into circulation, they get really dinged up quickly. This is especially true due to their special proof properties- the tiniest ding or scratch is really easy to see. That said, most collectors don't want "impaired" proofs. They are fairly cheep to buy in high grade already. I have saved them up in the past and sold them as 10-20 different coin lots on eBay and have got $1-$1.50 or so for them.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually keep most of the ones I find. If the coins are in pathetic condition, I spend them. Recently found a 2014-S half that was the nicest proof half I've found in a box, and it had a nasty scratch on it. Kept it because it was my first 2014 half though. I haven't worried with selling the ones I find because I don't have time to sit and sit on them. I just keep the nicest of each date and dump the duplicates.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got this last night-- only keeper from 2 Loomis boxes IMG_1699.JPG IMG_1700.JPG Redbook value at $5 uncir. listed it on Ebay at $3.69

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once tried to trade proofs for silver. I'd pay melt for 40% halves (melt was >$40/toz) and I get 60 cents each for my proofs. No takers. I listed a batch on ebay and later Craigslist at ~75 cents each. No takers.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I was looking through 3+ rolls of proofs last night to see about making up another set of them, I have a book that has the proofs included that has 1 or 2 missing. 1 roll was 18 2009. I keep any of them in good condition even though I don't figure they are worth much more than 50 cents.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just building a set for kicks, but they are definitely not valuable if they are at all impaired.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find them rather frequently. I have sold a few but mostly I'm just trying to build a set. I will keep them lying around till I get enough for a roll or two and then release them to the wild.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt you can sell them for much if anything, over face value. I keep them because I like the looks of them, otherwise I'd dump them. To me it is not worth the hassle of selling them.

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who is it that is opening proof sets and putting the proof coins in circulation ... in the quantity we seem to be finding them? Sure, the stories of unknowing kids and drug-addled thieves may account for a few but there must be other sources. The premium for proofs to the original buyer should be a deterrent to just putting the coins in circulation ( we know this goes on with NIFC halves, but the premium to the original buyer on those coins is low)

It doesn't seem like something that a LCS would do, even if they broke a set open to get at an extraordinary MS70 coin wouldn't they sell the remaining 'singles' for a premium?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who is it that is opening proof sets and putting the proof coins in circulation ... in the quantity we seem to be finding them? Sure, the stories of unknowing kids and drug-addled thieves may account for a few but there must be other sources. The premium for proofs to the original buyer should be a deterrent to just putting the coins in circulation ( we know this goes on with NIFC halves, but the premium to the original buyer on those coins is low)

It doesn't seem like something that a LCS would do, even if they broke a set open to get at an extraordinary MS70 coin wouldn't they sell the remaining 'singles' for a premium?

Of course sometimes kids and/or thieves will bust open proof sets. When they show up en masse, its usually from collectors that buy up proof sets in bulk hoping for just a couple of coins that will grade ms69+ and sell for a high premium. The rest often just get dumped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread