My first box

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, this is my first ever box, i'm not sure if what I kept was right but here is a lowdown of what I got. It was a nickel box by the way.

1964D - 37
1964 - 27
1963D - 8
1963 - 2
1962D - 5
1962 - 1
1960D - 4
1959 - 2
1958D - 4
1957D - 2
1957 - 1
1956 - 1
1954D - 1
1954 - 1
1952 - 1
1949D - 1
1949 - 1
1948D - 1
1947 - 1
1946D - 1
1942D - 1
1942 - 2
1941 - 4
1940 - 1
-------------------------------
1936 - 1
Unreadable Date - 1

As you can see I kept everything 1964 and before. Any idea on what to do with them?

Upvote 0

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Basically, I keep everything that is 1959 and older. Some people even just do 1950 and older. The reason we don't keep the 60's is because in 1964 alone they made about 4 billion total!

OP
OP
I

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
So should I take it to a coin shop or something? I have 0 idea what to do with my coins since I found them.

Last edited:

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
haha i have no idea. I mean, even the 50s and 40s are pretty much worthless(unless they are really nice or silver. The 1950-D though, is fairly rare)

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're being too vague. Should you take what to a coin shop? I'm guessing you're searching nickles. You have two buffs, one with no date. You don't have any silver war nickles. I guess my question is are you assuming these are silver? Only dimes and quarters are the 1964 and earlier coins with silver.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are thinking that a coin shop will pay a premium for these, I'm afraid you are sadly mistaken. You have some neat, but very common coins. I doubt a coin shop would want them, and you'll be very hard-pressed to find anyone willing to pay a premium for them.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest you set a goal, such as filling a nickel booklet with the nicest of the common coins, then pickup more boxes to eventually complete the booklet. This is about all one can do when CRHing nickels.

OP
OP
I

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I suggest you set a goal, such as filling a nickel booklet with the nicest of the common coins, then pickup more boxes to eventually complete the booklet. This is about all one can do when CRHing nickels.

Oh, that sounds like a good idea.

Also im not at all searching for a premium for the coins, i'm just asking for suggestions on what to do with them. It is my first box after all. I just want some guidance if you will.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite...erson_Head_nickels_.281938.E2.80.93present.29

I'd look at the mintages, keep everything that was made below a certain threshold.

I'd personally only keep those where the columns are still visible on the back, unless the mintage is below 25 million or so.

Looking at that I think you can figure out that the 64D's aren't worth saving unless they have full steps on the back :-)

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, that sounds like a good idea.

Also im not at all searching for a premium for the coins, i'm just asking for suggestions on what to do with them. It is my first box after all. I just want some guidance if you will.

Now I'm confused. If you aren't thinking of selling the coins, then why would you ask about taking them to a coin shop? What other reason could there possibly be to do so?

At any rate, collect/keep what YOU like. If you enjoy building complete sets, then do that. If you like keeping only the smaller minted dates, then do that. If you want to only collect silver/the ones that can be sold for immediate profit, then do that. Its your money, your time, and your hobby. Do it your way and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

oredownunder

Tenderfoot
Aug 17, 2015
Mahe, Seychelles
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000 Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know. your sitting off on other half o world finding nickels. im sure I sit on land where at least one ship fell aground, several pirates buried their loot and yet on my own all I can do is verify it on a metal detector. the stuff seems to be spread over half my yard as well as being located in several groupings at various spots from the low water mark in front of my house, under it and well into my back yard farm. irony is I don't really kno where to start. any advise ?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Been collecting coins since back when ALL dimes were silver and I only bothered saving the Mercs. Nickles ? Save the 50-D nickles and any Silver ones from the 40s and toss the rest in the parking meter. Just my 2 cents worth.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok when i first started reading i thought these were halves and i was like "holy shizz" thats one of the best beginners luck ive seen/heard- then i read nickles lol
As for what you should do with them? If you dont know why are you hunting? Not trying to be rude but if you have no idea what youre doing with the coins after searching id say thats a wastw of time... figure ouy what YOU want to do- fill books- find silver, buffaloes, low mints and sale them or start a collection? You have to find out exactly what you want to do with your hunts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions