Small town, small stakes, nice score.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys- been a lurker here for a couple of years but after my recent experience searching rolls of halves, I had to break down and join up. This is the account of my first venture into CRH.

Last Thursday I stopped by the main branch of my bank. No halves, no large dollars. So on a whim I tried the smaller branch on the other side of town. They said "Sure, how many?" I started with 4 rolls, took them home, and expected to be disappointed. Well the third roll was solid silver, about 16 40% and 4 90%!

So I gathered my stash of rolled debased stuff, plus another 50 in folding green, and went back for 12 more rolls. And I hit two more solid rolls plus a few stragglers for a total that day of 56 40% and 8 90%.

So today I rolled up all the clad halves, after going over them for errors and proofs, added some more folding green, and got 18 rolls. The cute lil teller girl had to make 4 trips to the counter to deliver them all. So I took them home and found 44 40%, and 19 90%, one of which was a Ben.

Beginner's luck, right? My town has a population of about 10000, and I don't think many people CRH here. Got a couple of dump banks staked out, the one I used today didn't even ask if I had an account.

I'm going back tomorrow to get about a dozen more rolls and bringing the girls a big bowl of Halloween candy.

Pretty thrilled with half dollars so far!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hope you didn't take the rerolled halves back to the same bank you got them from. What you need to do is get your coins from that small branch and then dump the coins at the bank who didn't have any coins. Never dump your clad coins at the bank you pick up from. It's a good way to wear out your welcome

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beginner's luck for sure, welcome to treasurenet and congratulations on a nice haul!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet ! Be aware it's a very addictive hobby!

OP
OP
S

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcomes and the advice. Never fear, I did my research on this very forum to learn the ins and outs of the hunt before starting. I've banked with my pickup bank for over twenty years, and I won't be dumping on either the smaller branch or the main branch. In fact I have a lady friend in the accounts department at the main branch who always gives me a hug when I come in, so I want to keep both branches from seeing me as a burden. That leaves me with three separate local banks to dump at, and since at least one of them was very helpful and polite, I'm going to try to spread the dumps between them and even go out of town to dump just to avoid becoming "that guy'. This forum is full of EXTREMELY good and practical advice which I've heeded well.

Since I live in such a small city (but since I grew up on a dirt road, any place I can't burn my trash or shoot my guns in the back yard is kinda big city to me) I'm definitely going to avoid annoying any of the banks by keeping the transactions moderate and fairly infrequent. Thanks again for the welcomes and all the great advice.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
SS,
Congrats on the beginner's luck haul! Hope you have many more. However, there's kind of an unpublished rule around here...It's just a fish story without pictures!!

I'm joking of course, but we do all LOVE pictures.

Welcome

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Congrats on an awesome start!!
One little piece of advice. When you go into a bank and they say that they have what you are looking for always buy them all.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an awesome start!!
One little piece of advice. When you go into a bank and they say that they have what you are looking for always buy them all.

Yep. NorCal is right ...
If you keep goin back for more & more like that they will wonder what's so special with those half dollars & maybe crack a few open. Then they will see all that silver and its game over. Get it all at once and get outta there. Then check back every couple weeks if you want to and keep it on the down low.

Congrats on a nice silver vein. You've now had your first Hydrocodone Rx filled, and will never get off it. (Sorry to all the pain mgmt people out there - no offense - just a figure of speech).

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup always buy them all.

Also pick up the customer rolled dimes nickels and quarters. If there are that many silver halves, there might be more of the same with the other denominations!

Fantastic haul!

OP
OP
S

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the congrats and the advice. I hadn't given much thought to the notion that someone at the bank might decide to snipe the rolls. I'll find out how many they have left tomorrow and see if I can manage to snag them all. All the rolls I have gotten so far were paper wrapped in Curtis rolls, so I doubt they were customer wrapped. It IS addictive! It helps that I actually enjoy sorting through them and even enjoy rolling them back up. I plan to try other denominations once the halves run dry.

I would have posted pictures but I figured you've all seen plenty of Kens and Bens. Next time I'll take some pics. I appreciate y'all for being so helpful with the good advice.

OP
OP
S

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cashed in my re-roll clad at one of my dump banks and went by the pick-up bank for more rolls. Unfortunately the only two employees with vault access were out of the office until later this morning. However, I left the ladies a big bowl of Halloween candy and thanked them for being so helpful and polite. I'm going back in about an hour to see if I can bogart the rest of the halves.

OP
OP
S

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the last 17 rolls. All skunks. They had marks on the wrappers, so I'm sure they've been hunted before. Well, it was a good run while it lasted. Out of 50 total rolls I got 100 40% and 27 90%. Pretty pleased with the results. Guess I'll try some dimes next!

OP
OP
S

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics or it didn't happen! Finally drug out the digital camera because my phone's not good enough to catch that silvery gleam: 100_0115.JPG 100_0116.JPG 100_0119.JPG

I miscounted before, the total is 26 1964s. Probably used up all my luck on the first box, but I'll keep on searching!

Edit: Forgot to photograph the 1962 Ben. So 27 was correct.

Last edited:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank has a coin counter machine and since I have an account there they don't charge a VIG. I never buy rolls there, just use it as a coin dump.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great haul!!! Looks like they were sitting around that bank for a bit!!!:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread