ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats how clad will look when tumbled with copper cents. My guess is that it is a metal detecting find and spent some time buried in the ground. It was then cleaned by putting it in a tumbler with the aforementioned copper cents.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I copper plated a quarter in school long ago using electrolysis, maybe some kid did the same to this coin.

lonetown

Greenie
Jul 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a clad coin and the outer layer has dissolved. I can show you dozens of them from under my apple tree tire swing.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the early 50's when Mercury wasn't dangerous---LOL, I would put some in my left hand and with my right I would coat/rub a penny in the Merc until it was silver. I wouldn't let it touch my skin now that it's dangerous. :) How I survived, I haven't a clue.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not dismiss the O.P.'s coin so readily as having Post Mint damage due to some type of manipulation (i.e. tumbling, acid or other) as it may in fact be a 1974-P Kennedy Half Dollar which is missing the Cladding. I would advise contacting an Error Coin Examiner with Coneca, send him or her pics of the coin and ask their opinion. If they feel that it is a high possibility that the coin is an Error coin, then it would be best to send it to them for examination and attribution of the error. If you decide later to have the coin certified, graded and the Error noted on the label of the holder (attributed), the letter from the Coneca Error Coin Examiner will back up the attribution of the Error.

CONECA Examination Process

http://conecaonline.org/content/coneca_examiners.html

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread