What do you guys ask for when getting rolls?

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I briefly tried coin roll hunting a few years back and I ran into two things which turned me off to it. First, if I went into a bank and wanted to buy rolls of coins, they would give me clear rolls and/or bank-rolled coin rolls that were all brand new stuff. I would think you'd want rolled stuff people brought in from home...but my bank won't even take in rolled coins anymore. You have to put them into a coin counter and take a receipt to the window. The second thing was that half the time when I'd go in and ask to buy rolls of coins I'd get looked at like I had a third eye or something.

How do you guys get rolls that are even worth looking through?

Upvote 0

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it sometimes depends upon the bank. I tried Pilgrim bank in my town and got machine wrapped rolls of dimes (20). I did get a 64 from it, while 20 customer wrapped rolls from my regular feed bank yielded nothing. But I got a great score from customer wrapped halves at my feed bank. At this point I ask for customer wrapped rolls. If you look on youtube, however, you can see videos of people getting silver from clear plastic rolls and the tight machine paper rolls. Patience, luck, and volume seems to be key.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I walk in and smile to the teller and lay a half and a Ike dollar on the counter and ask if they have any of these? Normally I get none of those(pointing to the Ike) but a roll or two of these, pointing at the half. Or she will say I don't have any but let me go ask the other tellers, and I ask if you have any in the vault I will buy all you have. I get some new rolled rolls, some old customer turned in rolls or nothing at all. But I make it a practice to hit the banks at least once a month to keep checking. It seems to pay off by being consistent in my always checking. The bank that delivers either a few rolls or is really nice in the way they say no, will still get a box of cookies from me for everyone in the bank. A grocery store here sells a big 48 count box of chocolate chip for $5.00 and that sure seems to make them remember me and in some cases save coins for me. And the cookies are actually pretty good.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of being really nice and patient. "Hello, do you have any half dollar coins"

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the south, so I usually have to ask for "fifty cent pieces".

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a standing order at two different banks for a box of halves at each bank. I always ask if they have any other halves in their teller trays. :cat:

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I briefly tried coin roll hunting a few years back and I ran into two things which turned me off to it. First, if I went into a bank and wanted to buy rolls of coins, they would give me clear rolls and/or bank-rolled coin rolls that were all brand new stuff. I would think you'd want rolled stuff people brought in from home...but my bank won't even take in rolled coins anymore. You have to put them into a coin counter and take a receipt to the window. The second thing was that half the time when I'd go in and ask to buy rolls of coins I'd get looked at like I had a third eye or something.

How do you guys get rolls that are even worth looking through?

:laughing7: I make a joke of it. Since most banks around here have the rope line, I first say "I made it thru the maze, do I get any cheese". I than ask the tellers if anyone has any half dollars loose or rolled. I tell them I'm not fussy. I don't specify mwr or cwr. I just take them all. I'm always very polite when asking & thank them for their time whether they have any halves for me or not. It's corny but it works. I've made some nice teller scores that way.
HH
Gary

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I narrowed my accounts down to only three or four banks because I was only using about a $3k bankroll.

These banks were selected because they could provide $500 or $1,000 bags of customer-rolled denominations, roughly twice per month. No coin counters.

I saved them $ because they didn't have to pay a courier to carry away the bags. These amounts were all I felt comfortable in handling, I could have bought thousands more from these banks, mostly small community institutions. There are dozens of these banks within a 30-mile radius of my location.

Last edited:
S

stefen

I walk in and smile to the teller and lay a half and a Ike dollar on the counter and ask if they have any of these? Normally I get none of those(pointing to the Ike) but a roll or two of these, pointing at the half. Or she will say I don't have any but let me go ask the other tellers, and I ask if you have any in the vault I will buy all you have. I get some new rolled rolls, some old customer turned in rolls or nothing at all. But I make it a practice to hit the banks at least once a month to keep checking. It seems to pay off by being consistent in my always checking. The bank that delivers either a few rolls or is really nice in the way they say no, will still get a box of cookies from me for everyone in the bank. A grocery store here sells a big 48 count box of chocolate chip for $5.00 and that sure seems to make them remember me and in some cases save coins for me. And the cookies are actually pretty good.

Smart marketing scheme you got there son. Very clever. :thumbsup:

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually run in and yell "Give me all of yer halves!"

Unfortunately about 98% of the time I end up in the back of a cop car... but that other 2% of the time, well, I usually walk out with a ton of them!

I do not recommend this method.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
I usually run in and yell "Give me all of yer halves!"

Unfortunately about 98% of the time I end up in the back of a cop car... but that other 2% of the time, well, I usually walk out with a ton of them!

I do not recommend this method.

Avago you are not doing this right. Instead of demanding all of their halves go in and yell "give me all of your SILVER the older the better". That way your 2 percent of the time you will get more ie. Nickles, dimes, quarters, halves and all the Morgan's that they have laying around.
Remember the more you get those few times the better chance you have of being able to afford your bail the other 98 percent of the time.
Good luck.
And I do not recommend this method either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread