Any thoughts?

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a call from a bank on Friday where I get halves that they have about $700 in dollar coins... "gold" n "silver" ones.. Teller did say there were some Ikes in there too.. I told her I will think about it. Has anyone recent found any actual silver dollars at a bank? I'm sure she was referring to Sac's and Susan B's but now I'm wondering if I should go and get them..

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver dollars have been found as well as Silver Eagles. Rare, but it happens.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely you should get them. Even if this is a skunk, you have the bank calling you offering you cool things. Better to take it everytime or else they might just call someone else when the mother load comes in.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If they are nice enough to call you, by all means go GET THEM ALL. You never know what they have.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if you don't get them, don't expect them to call in the future. Also don't pick thru them, take them all!

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THIS is why this forum is so valuable. Here we have a great group of smart people who have learned the ins and outs of this hobby, have strained their eyes searching tons of cupronickel and strained their backs toting bags and rolls to the banks and the sorting machines, often with little or no silver to show for their efforts. And, rather than hoard their arcane knowledge, they freely share it with others, offering practical advice for no personal gain apart from knowing they helped enrich the hobby for a fellow traveler.

And the advice here is fantastic. In my limited experience I've found that tellers seem to hoard ANY Ikes they see, so to have some offered like that is rare, at least in my neck of the woods. Good luck!

OP
OP
Oquario79

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate every ones advice. I'll find an excuse to travel about n hr away but the consensus seems for me to go.. thanks guys. I'll definitely update on my findings...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make it a mini bank run, stop at all the banks along the way so it is worth your time. Good luck!

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a call from a bank on Friday where I get halves that they have about $700 in dollar coins... "gold" n "silver" ones.. Teller did say there were some Ikes in there too.. I told her I will think about it. Has anyone recent found any actual silver dollars at a bank? I'm sure she was referring to Sac's and Susan B's but now I'm wondering if I should go and get them..

:coffee2: 2 weeks ago, I was at my bank doing some banking & I asked the teller my usual question "does anyone have any half dollars loose o rolled?". She had 2 half dollars of which 1 was a 40% (1/68). She than asked me if I wanted this large dollar coin & held it up for me to see. It was a 1923 "Peace" silver dollar. Of course being the gentlemen I am, I took it off her hands so she wouldn't have to keep counting it in her drawer every day. The moral of my story is they are still out there. You should go & get them. If they aren't anything special, you can still spend them or use them for your next coin purchase.
HH
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread