Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Unrolled a MWR from a box. Saw "that" edge and savored it for a moment. Pretty sure it was a proof. Question was, what year? 61 Franklin. Then, a few rolls later got another crisp edge. Could it be a second?
Could it be a second proof 001.JPG Could it be a second proof 003.JPG Could it be a second proof 004.JPG Could it be a second proof 006.JPG Could it be a second proof 007.JPG

Nope. But it is a 64 Ken.
Not a great box, but absolutely the prettiest proof I've found yet! I'll take both of them and be happy!:laughing7:

Upvote 0

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I've gotten some proofs like that and people swear it was cleaned to get it that shiny. I hope not but anyone know if you can tell a proof from a 'cleaned' coin? That is a totally sweet find btw. Drooling over here seriously. Sincerely, GarouLady

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten some proofs like that and people swear it was cleaned to get it that shiny. I hope not but anyone know if you can tell a proof from a 'cleaned' coin? That is a totally sweet find btw. Drooling over here seriously. Sincerely, GarouLady

A lot of earlier proofs don't have that same cameo "satin" look on the details. There are some that are so rare they carry quite a premium.

I look for thicker rims, very defined reeds, and that mirror finish.

The way to tell a difference between cleaned/polished and proof is look at the details. you should be able to tell the difference between a bad strike (a lot of details are muddled on the coin) and wear (high details are missing but others are intact)

I use the pcgs photograde app on my phone to check details and wear patterns. Once you look at a few you get the general hang of it; once you look at a few hundred you know what you're doing :laughing7:

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Nice Franklin. I'm still looking for my first proof Franklin.
Congrats!!!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
While finding a proof coin in circulation can be very cool, the value of the "proof" part is gone, due to wear.

Still a cool find...way better than the 2008 canadian quarter I got out of the coinstar reject slot today.

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find! I just found my first proof a week ago. Great find. HH...Brad

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That half is gorgeous! Just wish they came out of the ground that way!! Excellent find sir!!!!!:occasion14:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the Silver Halfs! While there are definitely some contact marks on the 1961 Franklin Half, I really don't much wear and I am sure that someone that needs the coin for their' Franklin Half dollar Set/Collection would pay a premium over the 11 times face value melt. A quick douse of Rubbing Alcohol, lightly rubbing the Alcohol over the coin's surfaces with a soft fingertip, rinsing with water, then patting dry between the folds of a soft towel can do wonders to the appearance of such a Proof coin.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Greastart

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank, You're always a gentleman. Thanks for the cleaning tip! If I had multiples of this coin, I might consider selling one. However, the CRH Gods have sent me but one so I'll treat it as you suggest and keep it for myself.

Again, thanks for the tip.

Grease

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions